Certification and Career Goals for 2018

Started by deanwebb, February 19, 2018, 08:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on June 15, 2018, 02:18:27 PM
Quote from: ristau5741 on June 15, 2018, 08:38:26 AM
Quote from: ristau5741 on May 03, 2018, 03:43:20 PM
Wasn't a career goal for 2018, but I'm a Splunk Certified User 6.x now,  just passed my test.
Wasn't a career goal for 2018 either, but I'm a Splunk Power User Certified 6.x now,  passed my test yesterday.

Ah, but can you also use Microsoft Office? And also Microsoft Office 365?

I can even generate reports from the logs.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Be sure you have that on your resume. That's a skill that is in HIGH DEMAND.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

SimonV

One of my distributors has now started selling Cumulus gear. Any tips on getting started with that?

deanwebb

Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

SimonV

deanwebb

wintermute000

Re-certified my VMware VCP6-NV on July the 2nd, so that fits in this FY's KPIs.
Gotta maintain those VMware stripes, otherwise you get forced back onto the pleb 'must get work to shell out for 5 days official training before you have the privilege of sitting our sh1tty exam' train.

<woohoo>NO CERTIFICATIONS DUE FOR RE-CERT FOR 18 MONTHS</woohoo>

OK technically i'm cheating, I'm not counting the CWNA, nobody even knows it exists.....  admit it, none of y'all have heard of it

deanwebb

OK, I'll resist the urge to Google and ask... "So, what's a CWNA?"

Otanx

Failed my CCIE written at Cisco Live. Funny thing is the session I had after the test covered three or four questions I think I got wrong. Next year I am scheduling for as late into the week as I can. Back to studying automation stuff (python, ansible, etc).

-Otanx

deanwebb

Quote from: Otanx on July 03, 2018, 05:39:50 PM
Failed my CCIE written at Cisco Live. Funny thing is the session I had after the test covered three or four questions I think I got wrong. Next year I am scheduling for as late into the week as I can. Back to studying automation stuff (python, ansible, etc).

-Otanx

Aw, man, that's a bummer. But, yeah, get back on your horse and ride!

wintermute000

That's a shame, don't wait till next year, hit it hard otherwise you'll just be re-learning a bunch of stuff.

re: Deanwebb

https://www.cwnp.com/certifications/cwna

Its actually a great course IF you're a wireless guy - this is basically the CCNA of 802.11 protocol operation and RF theory, and yes its about as interesting as it sounds. Does not tell you what buttons in the Cisco GUI to push in any way whatsoever, but it actually teaches you WLAN and RF theory fundamentals (unlike a CCNA wireless). Despite the material being drier than sandpaper I've actually found it super useful for my role.

deanwebb

That actually does sound interesting. Thanks! I really do like knowing about how technologies work.

srg

Passed CCDE written a couple of days ago, gonna do a month of vacation before I decide what to do with it. If nothing else, renewed all other certs until 2021 :)
som om sinnet hade svartnat för evigt.

deanwebb

Quote from: srg on July 14, 2018, 04:21:19 AM
Passed CCDE written a couple of days ago, gonna do a month of vacation before I decide what to do with it. If nothing else, renewed all other certs until 2021 :)

Is there a lab for that one, as well?

srg

Quote from: deanwebb on July 14, 2018, 08:52:45 AM
Quote from: srg on July 14, 2018, 04:21:19 AM

Is there a lab for that one, as well?
It is. It's different compared to the CCIE though as it is held only 4 times a year at specific Pearson sites.
som om sinnet hade svartnat för evigt.