Certification and Career Goals for 2018

Started by deanwebb, February 19, 2018, 08:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

Meanwhile, I need to book that exam I said I'd do back in January...
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

SimonV

Quote from: deanwebb on September 16, 2018, 11:50:56 AM
Meanwhile, I need to book that exam I said I'd do back in January...

Me too, need to take JNCIP-SEC at least before 12th of October. In case I fail, that gives me 14 more days for a retry.

deocrism

Managed to get my CCNA R&S mid 2018, and have been spending pockets of time here and there on CCNA Security and AWS Solutions Architect Associate.

As a student with 0 experience I feel like getting Certs is the way to go. Unfortunately these days it seems everyone has CCNA and the advice I've gotten from graduates in the workforce is that having a CCNA is not enough.

Otanx

My wife scheduled ICND1 exam for next month. Been doing cigar and networking nights helping her get ready. She picks a topic, and I try to teach it. Mainly focused on subnetting right now (insert rant on classful networks still being taught). Her final goal is the CCNA-Cyber Ops certification.

-Otanx

config t

Quote from: deocrism on September 17, 2018, 04:49:34 AM
Managed to get my CCNA R&S mid 2018, and have been spending pockets of time here and there on CCNA Security and AWS Solutions Architect Associate.

As a student with 0 experience I feel like getting Certs is the way to go. Unfortunately these days it seems everyone has CCNA and the advice I've gotten from graduates in the workforce is that having a CCNA is not enough.

I can almost guarantee you that everyone on this forum has been in your shoes or at least a similar situation when they started out. Find a helpdesk job or a network technician job and do all the stuff nobody in the shop wants to do. When I started out I was running/crimping cable and vacuuming dust off of switches.

Quote from: Otanx on September 17, 2018, 09:33:16 AM
My wife scheduled ICND1 exam for next month. Been doing cigar and networking nights helping her get ready. She picks a topic, and I try to teach it. Mainly focused on subnetting right now (insert rant on classful networks still being taught). Her final goal is the CCNA-Cyber Ops certification.

-Otanx

I love my subnetting app
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

DesertFox

I am waiting for an offer (hopefully today) for a Viptela / DNA Center remote SE - a USA organization is hiring for an outsource of Cisco's SE-s here. If I go there probably will pursuit CCNP R&S sooner than I was imagining. Apart from this, I am starting a second MS degree - 6 weeks per year on-site at a local university for IT security. And in meantime I am having fun with exercises in pentesterlab.com - for me, it looks like a great deal for the money.

Quote from: Otanx on September 17, 2018, 09:33:16 AM

-Otanx
When she starts the CyberOps- there is a very nice FB studying group - Cisco Cyber Ops Study Group with some additional materials. If you are not on FB, I can download and send it to you.

And there I found good mnemonic for the Cyber kill chain - Real women dates engineer in combat armors (Recoincance, weaponization, delivery, exploitation, installation, C&C, action on objectives).

Otanx

Thanks for the info. I passed it along to her. I love the mnemonic.

-Otanx

DesertFox

I saw the mnemonic in the FB group - it comes from a SANS instructor.

And from a 01.10 I am going to be part of Cisco SE structure - hope it is going to be funnier than my current workplace. 8)

deanwebb

Quote from: DesertFox on September 19, 2018, 03:29:19 AM
I saw the mnemonic in the FB group - it comes from a SANS instructor.

And from a 01.10 I am going to be part of Cisco SE structure - hope it is going to be funnier than my current workplace. 8)

SE roles generally are more funnerer. :)
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

SimonV

Spent the last 14 days labbing up everything I could for JNCIP-SEC. Lots of trial and error getting Security Director, Log Director and Sky ATP going but it was a good learning experience. Passed the JNCIP-SEC exam on Friday morning right before I left to Barcelona to party  :)

icecream-guy

:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Quote from: SimonV on October 22, 2018, 08:56:26 AM
Spent the last 14 days labbing up everything I could for JNCIP-SEC. Lots of trial and error getting Security Director, Log Director and Sky ATP going but it was a good learning experience. Passed the JNCIP-SEC exam on Friday morning right before I left to Barcelona to party  :)

:applause:

SimonV

Halfway through the JNCDA course on Open Learning, nothing new but some good tips to add to my design documents :)

deanwebb

Passed my FCSE yesterday.

<-- Check out mah sertz... :smug:

icecream-guy

:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.