Cisco catalyst 2960 Switch

Started by Valdi, February 22, 2018, 01:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valdi

Hi everyone,

I have recently just bought a used Cisco c2960 switch from a parts recycling company and was hoping to use it at home for learning and playing around.
Since I am quite new to it all I dind't realise I needed the rollover cable (RJ45 to DB-9/RS-232) to configure it via the console port. I'm currently a bit lost as to how I can get around this after much googling. I had bought an RJ45-USB adapter as I don't have an RS-232 connector on my PC, and tried setting up a serial connection via putty making sure to set the right paramters such as baud rate at 9600 and use COM1 with Data bits set to 8 Stop bits set to 1, no Parity and Flow control as XON/XOFF.

I have both a crossover ethernet cable and a standard ethernet cable, but would like to know if it is possible to connect to the switch via a USB port. Also I don't have any of the software configurations that may have been set up via the previous user and I have reset the switch (at least I think I have) by holding down the Mode button.
If anyone has any experience/advice on this, that would be greatly appreciated. :)

wintermute000

u need an actual cisco blue rollover console cable. The pinout is an exact reverse i.e. 1-8 --> 8-1 so normal ethernet or xover won't work.
They are everywhere, now u got a USB adapter just plug it straight in.

Not sure of ur exact 2960, but some newer switches can console via mini-usb (yes mini, not micro lol), u'll need the driver from cisco for that.

SimonV

I'm sure you'll find a nice instructional on youtube to get the serial port up and running...
As for the configuration, it depends on what you want to achieve.

deanwebb

The USB on the switches is non-functional, as far as Cisco will let us know. If the USB has a function, it is a super duper top Cisco secret.

And for that YouTube video, how about this one that I made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg8nPlgkdHI
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

SimonV

Quote from: deanwebb on February 22, 2018, 06:33:09 AMThe USB on the switches is non-functional, as far as Cisco will let us know. If the USB has a function, it is a super duper top Cisco secret.

The newer ones have a USB console feature on the micro-usb port, but not on the 2960 yet.

deanwebb

Quote from: SimonV on February 22, 2018, 07:42:14 AM
Quote from: deanwebb on February 22, 2018, 06:33:09 AMThe USB on the switches is non-functional, as far as Cisco will let us know. If the USB has a function, it is a super duper top Cisco secret.

The newer ones have a USB console feature on the micro-usb port, but not on the 2960 yet.

:kramer:

I did not see that coming. Now if only the DVR manufacturers would make *their* USB ports do something useful...
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

wintermute000

I guarantee you I've used console on a micro-USB to more than one C3850. Granted never a 2960.