ASK THE HEADHUNTER When to decline an employee referral for a job

Started by deanwebb, February 27, 2018, 06:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

When to decline an employee referral for a job

In the February 27, 2018 Ask The Headhunter Newsletter, a reader questions how meaningful an employee referral is when it’s impersonal. Question A friend at a company I'm interested in working for referred me for a job. I have a phone interview scheduled with a "technical recruiter" later today. I asked if there was any special preparation I could do for the interview. I was told no, that we would be covering my previous experience and projects during the call. You always recommend using a job interview to demonstrate how the applicant would actually do the job. Since the interview

The post When to decline an employee referral for a job appeared first on Ask The Headhunter®.

Source: When to decline an employee referral for a job
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

deanwebb

Yeah, if you refer a buddy and he still has to see a recruiter, your company's HR is broken.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

Otanx

I am going to disagree with this article. HR still has to talk to the referral. HR does more than just screening the candidates skills. There may be regulatory requirements on hiring, EOE stuff, allowed to work (green card/H1B), make sure salary requirements are at least close, etc. However, what should not happen is for a referral to be rejected by HR for any other reason.  The way our HR does it is if I want to refer someone to the position they submit their resume on the online form. Then under "How did you hear about this opening" they mark current employee, and put my name. HR will reach out, and confirm with me. If I confirm then HR still does all the other stuff they need to do, and then give the hiring manager the go ahead to move forward. HR does not go and check for key words on the resume, or check for certifications, etc.

-Otanx

deanwebb

Noted on the due diligence for HR, and also noted that if the guy is otherwise OK, put him in for an interview. I recall one guy that had the recommendation of the ENTIRE team, but HR said no because he was a contractor and we only hire guys who were already FTEs for FTE roles. They would gladly take him as a contractor for another round, though.

Otanx

What is the justification behind only FTEs for FTE roles? I have seen this before, but never understood why. Also I have no clue where I fall in that. I am a FTE contractor. I am a FTE of company A that works at company B location supporting companies C - F. I would guess I am a FTE in a W2 vs 1099 way, but not sure.

-Otanx

deanwebb

Quote from: Otanx on February 27, 2018, 12:02:06 PM
What is the justification behind only FTEs for FTE roles? I have seen this before, but never understood why. Also I have no clue where I fall in that. I am a FTE contractor. I am a FTE of company A that works at company B location supporting companies C - F. I would guess I am a FTE in a W2 vs 1099 way, but not sure.

-Otanx

That's a tough one, but I think this firm was wanting only FTEs that were FTEs for non-contracting/consulting companies. I think that's a big mistake, as it cuts out a whole slice of great talent.

icecream-guy

Makes is hard to break back into that realm, once the water has been muddied with contracor-ness.
Although PI would never be able to pay my usual and customary.  it'd be nice to have the long term
commitment, but here in MD, there is an at-will employment thing where either employee or employer
can termite as fast as one can drop a load in a stinky toilet.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.