Wireless Solutions

Started by deanwebb, March 21, 2018, 09:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

Meraki, Cisco 5500s, Aruba, Huawei... what are you using, what do you see out there?

I see lots of Cisco, increasing Meraki, and Aruba guys that make sad faces if a third-party product doesn't work as well with their gear as it does with Cisco...
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on March 21, 2018, 09:25:39 AM
Meraki, Cisco 5500s, Aruba, Huawei... what are you using, what do you see out there?

I see lots of Cisco, increasing Meraki, and Aruba guys that make sad faces if a third-party product doesn't work as well with their gear as it does with Cisco...

100% Cisco at my place,  good thing it's not a security product so I don't have to touch it.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

^ :lol:

Cisco is certainly what I'm most familiar with, but I feel like Meraki will be overtaking it. I'm seeing more than one big firm discussing a shift to Meraki.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

Nerm

We are about 80% Meraki for wireless globally at this point. My Meraki feelings are very love/hate right now so just depends on which day you catch me on lol.

deanwebb

Quote from: Nerm on March 22, 2018, 07:58:56 PM
We are about 80% Meraki for wireless globally at this point. My Meraki feelings are very love/hate right now so just depends on which day you catch me on lol.

Well... what do you love and what do you hate?

wintermute000

40% Cisco 40% Aruba 20% Meraki

SimonV

100% Cisco at the last few jobs. It works very well and I like it.
At home I'm running Ruckus and also liking it. I kind of like the underdogs.

Nerm

Quote from: deanwebb on March 22, 2018, 08:03:19 PM

Honestly for wireless only it is a lot more love than hate. It is the non-wireless products like their firewalls and switches where most of my hate comes from. I should probably make a separate thread outlying my adventures and what I love/hate about the entire Meraki platform. That is if anyone is interested.

deanwebb

Quote from: Nerm on March 23, 2018, 02:39:36 PM
Quote from: deanwebb on March 22, 2018, 08:03:19 PM

Honestly for wireless only it is a lot more love than hate. It is the non-wireless products like their firewalls and switches where most of my hate comes from. I should probably make a separate thread outlying my adventures and what I love/hate about the entire Meraki platform. That is if anyone is interested.

Yes, please do!

Dieselboy

Meraki is good but too expensive for small medium business i feel. If you have a tough year and decide you're going to risk not having support, then unfortunately the meraki's no longer work whatsoever...

The Cisco mobility express stuff has come a long way but still very buggy.

I have a 2504 WLC which I am happy with but has also had its fair share of bugs. I'm running a somewhat old and specific version as it's stable.

I've made a note to make my own wireless deployment using free tools. It's low in the priority list so if I come up with something i'll post back.

deanwebb

Quote from: Dieselboy on June 11, 2018, 05:56:44 AM
Meraki is good but too expensive for small medium business i feel. If you have a tough year and decide you're going to risk not having support, then unfortunately the meraki's no longer work whatsoever...

I've got some friends in the biz that have actually popped their Merakis out of support and got openwrt running on them. It works. :problem?:

LynK

100% cisco currently

I have used: aerohive, meraki, motorola, ubiquiti

For office space I would use aerohive/meraki. For anything else I would just stick with cisco, and maybe aruba.
Sys Admin: "You have a stuck route"
            Me: "You have an incorrect Default Gateway"

mmcgurty

100% Cisco at corporate locations and 100% at non-corporate locations.  However, non-corporate locations use Meraki gateways for wireless guest   Internet access.  We don't do Meraki wireless except for like 4 AP's in the entire company for very specific use cases.  From my perspective, Cisco wireless seems to occupy a large amount of admin time for upgrades, tweaks, and testing, etc. (I am not a wireless networking guy).  The Meraki hardware I installed and since installation it has been set it and forget it.   It is deployed in a very wireless unfriendly area (NYC).  The only time we ever had issues with it is when the hardware behind it was down and the local desktop support couldn't tell what was wrong.

wintermute000

yeah its getting to the point where its only the 'phone home over internet' and 'pay or it stops' factors that prevent Meraki from being used for 80% of scenarios (make that 95% if it just bog standard corporate + guest wireless in office) over traditional complicated cumbersome AireOS.

deanwebb

Quote from: wintermute000 on June 23, 2018, 04:40:24 AM
yeah its getting to the point where its only the 'phone home over internet' and 'pay or it stops' factors that prevent Meraki from being used for 80% of scenarios (make that 95% if it just bog standard corporate + guest wireless in office) over traditional complicated cumbersome AireOS.

Companies do like the ability to keep their gear working, should there be a snag in the contract re-negotiation process.