How do you test new software if you only have the one device and no spare cash ?

Started by Dieselboy, March 12, 2015, 12:36:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dieselboy

Scenario: I have a Cisco WLC and their new 8.x code has a feature we want (I want to make use of). We only have the one WLC. I recall a previous where we found issues down the line such as: WLC crash for no reason, random wifi disconnects where the client appears to be connected but there is no wifi access at all.

This question could be for any device though, for example, a single ISR that you need to upgrade but do not have anything to test with.

I just wondered what others do if you were in a similar situation. The only way I can see to proceed is:

• Make a list of all features in use (form a test plan)
  • Upgrade during the weekend
  • Test each feature individually post upgrade
  • Allow a certain time post upgrade prior to enabling new functionality

Then, when you implement the new feature I guess you should test that individual feature (obviously) and then re-test each of your items from the test plan above. Sometimes it's not as straight forward as that though if issues like a device crash / hang or random wifi disconnects that you cannot reproduce, they just happen randomly.

Netwörkheäd

Let's not argue. Let's network!

SimonV

What WLC chassis are you running, and how many APs? Might be a good business investment to get a HA unit. That wouldn't require you to buy AP licenses for the second time.

Otanx

Your plan looks good if you can't get any test gear. The only things I would add is to read the release notes very closely to make sure nothing in there is a concern, and do a Google search to see if there are people talking about any issues/concerns about the product. Don't put too much trust in random internet postings, but they can identify areas to test more closely if you see several people having problems.

-Otanx

routerdork

Is it possible to utilize some of the virtual software they've come out with and just test through the demo licensing period? There's a virtual everything now it seems.
"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." -Abraham Lincoln

routerdork

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." -Abraham Lincoln

killabee

We don't have test boxes or spares, but we do have low traffic/low usage locations where we'll deploy the feature and watch.  However, this isn't foolproof either.  In different cases I upgraded some F5s at these locations and saw no immediate issues.  But later when I upgraded the F5s at the main site I had issues upgrading and saw memory leaks a month later.  The traffic and usage patters just weren't the same, so of course I wouldn't have seen any problems at the other locations. 

Other than you doing the exhaustive testing, be patient and wait for 8.1, 8.2, etc to come out, watch the Cisco/vendor forums for any comments about the current release, and do a bug scrub.