Excercising and loosing weight

Started by LynK, March 12, 2015, 03:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mowery

Quote from: jay9821 on April 09, 2015, 08:27:27 AM
Well, I'm a former medical professional and can confirm that drinking alcohol long term weakens the immune system.

I'm pretty sure this is because the alcohol takes over fighting the sickness and the immune system gets lazy.
QuoteYeah, right... and 96% of the Internet being dark and mysterious? How about 96% of the internet being Cisco web pages I can never find when I need them...

jay9821

Quote from: LynK on April 06, 2015, 03:09:37 PM
Quote from: deanwebb on April 06, 2015, 08:25:37 AM
Quote from: javentre on April 04, 2015, 08:02:15 PM
Sodas, including diet ones, are death in a can.  You're far better off drinking water.
DISCLAIMER: The above statement is not to be taken as medical advice, especially if you live in an area where the water is really bad and bottled water isn't readily available. :)

Disclamer: Only applicable in California, and remote deserts

@Jay: Wow... great job. Inspiration to hit the gym today, even though I am excausted  :cheers:

Thanks man! And to answer your question at the beginning of the thread; I bike back and forth to work 5 times a week for a total of 75 miles. On Saturday's I bike 30 miles. So I average about a 105 miles a week. I also spend about 5-6 days a weak doing cross fit, and heavy lifting in the evening.

Sunday is rest day.

jay9821

Quote from: Mowery on April 09, 2015, 08:30:10 AM
Well, I'm a former medical professional and can confirm that drinking alcohol long term weakens the immune system.

I'm pretty sure this is because the alcohol takes over fighting the sickness and the immune system gets lazy.
Lol sure, we can go with that.

But to get nerdy with it, it's because the immune system is weakened from fighting off the alcohol. The kidneys and liver are constantly having to filter out the alcohol and can't help fight off infections.

icecream-guy

Quote from: jay9821 on April 09, 2015, 08:35:34 AM
Quote from: Mowery on April 09, 2015, 08:30:10 AM

Lol sure, we can go with that.

But to get nerdy with it, it's because the immune system is weakened from fighting off the alcohol. The kidneys and liver are constantly having to filter out the alcohol and can't help fight off infections.

but the alcohol is in the blood stream, as are the germs, so the alcohol directly kills the germs while in the bloodstream. then alcohol gets filtered out.  That's why a fresh supply of alcohol is required to kill all the germs and get healthy again, right?
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

ChestHair

I think the real problems start when you have too much blood in your alcohol system.

deanwebb

My immune system is insecure because my circulatory system doesn't use IKEv2 to set up its tunnels.

As for dieting, if I reduce the port speed and MTU of my mouth and introduce a policy that sets QoS for vegetables and fruit at EF46 and puts cookies and sweets in bulk traffic, I get a lot of bulk discards, but an overall healthier diet. Also, having a time sensitive "deny all" ACL on my mouth helps prevent midnight snack penetration attempts.

Good heavens, I wrote that as a joke, but I think it could actually work for networkers!

:challenge-considered:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

dlots

at 6'3 I am ~313lb and need to loose weight sadly, just a matter of finding time.

NetworkGroover

Quote from: dlots on April 16, 2015, 02:49:16 PM
at 6'3 I am ~313lb and need to loose weight sadly, just a matter of finding time.

Start small and work up.  I came across a great website that syncs with my nerdiness and love for RPGs.  It's called NerdFitness... you can make a character, and you do fitness stuff to level him up.  It has a ton of info on diet, has several workout paths you can go down (Classes, like I'm an Assassin so a lot of the workout stuff is bodyweight/core strength), and multiple levels.  I started in the "Bodyweight Brigade" and started at level one and moving to level 4 next month - seven levels total.  It's a pretty cool website especially if you like RPGs.  One time access fee though.

I'm a fan.  It's helped motivate me to the point that I'm now going to the gym every day (even though the website calls for rest :P ) and eat better.  One thing to keep in mind, and this is totally true because I lost 20 lbs without working out at all, 70-80% of the trick to losing weight is your diet.  As they say on the website... "You can't outrun your fork."
Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

LynK

35 lbs down.

Wont lie.. I have been struggling keeping up my diet... food is just soooo good. haha. Slow and steady wins the race.... or so I am told.
Sys Admin: "You have a stuck route"
            Me: "You have an incorrect Default Gateway"

jay9821

Quote from: LynK on May 13, 2015, 09:51:49 AM
35 lbs down.

Wont lie.. I have been struggling keeping up my diet... food is just soooo good. haha. Slow and steady wins the race.... or so I am told.
Congrats man, keep it up. And food isn't that good if it's causing pain, right?

icecream-guy

oh yeah, this thread, since the community pool opened last week, I've been trying to do a few laps every other day. I' comfortable with 2 for now and hope to work my way up more over the summer, not bad for a 50 year old guy that hasn't really exercised regularly in 30 years. and yes this is all approved by doctor. had my fist physical in 20+ years the other week.  eat better, drink less, get more exercise, yadda yadda yadda  no real problems otherwise.

NetworkGroover

Dunno if it's already been discussed, but have you looked into the paleo diet?  You don't have to restrict the amount you eat, just -what- you eat. 

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/
Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

hizzo3

Quote from: AspiringNetworker on May 29, 2015, 07:55:13 PM
Dunno if it's already been discussed, but have you looked into the paleo diet?  You don't have to restrict the amount you eat, just -what- you eat. 

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/
Keto is a more extreme version but very much the same. I love my bacon avocado ranch cobb salads

icecream-guy

I've been doing alot better in this thread than in the 2015 certification thread.   Memorial day I started at 2 laps in the pool, I've been adding a lap per week, now doing just about a half mile (~5 laps) swimming every other day,  which ain't to bad for this old man.

haven't lost weight, since I usually swim after dinner, and hungry when done, and munch munch munch.  I gotta swim before I eat and eat later. maybe that will help.

jay9821

I am also doing a lot better in my biking. Glad to hear you're doing better too, how's everyone else coming a long?