Certification and Career Goals for 2019

Started by deanwebb, December 05, 2018, 12:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

That's right, it's 2019 in just a few weeks from the time of this writing!

What tests do you need to take?

What things do you want to accomplish?

For me, I can skate on my cert for now since I'm with the vendor that the cert is for. We don't need a lot of Cisco certs here at ForeScout... :smug:

Career goals is the tricky bit, though. I'm pretty much an apex predator, technically speaking, as an architect. I just have to keep current on my technology and that's all I *need* to do. So I have to ask myself, what do I *want* to do?

:think:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

SimonV

I want to finish my JNCDA before the end of 2018, and then I'll need to focus on Fortigate for a new assignment starting in January.

icecream-guy

My CCNP is due for renewal this year, haven't does any R&S for over a year,  considering letting it drop and moving on to other things like Palo certs.
Though I'd like to keep my CCNA security. so I just may take one of the CCNP Security tests and renew it.

Considering how much time I spent on my CCNA and CCNP originally, feels like I'm throwing all that time away by letting the cert drop.

Getting into my mid 50's these days, memory ain't what it used to be. Cramming for these, and remembering all the minute details for a Cisco exam
is a bit daunting. I think the CCNP Security certification would be out of the question.   

Although certs are good for the self-marketing and the company likes them, and considering that Cisco isn't the end all be all, that's why I'm considering other certs like the Palo, just to broaden my knowledge with other vendors products. CISSP would be another consideration.

I'll probably end up taking a last minute stab at the TSHOOT, and forgetting about the rest.

:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

If your employer likes to keep certs in the stables, the TSHOOT one sounds like the way to maintain everything.

Only go to CCNP-Sec now if you plan to push Cisco security products. That isn't a fit for my situation...
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

SimonV

TSHOOT is easy but still costs 250 USD/EUR, so depends if your CCNP is worth it to you or your employer...

deanwebb

Quote from: SimonV on December 07, 2018, 03:45:50 AM
TSHOOT is easy but still costs 250 USD/EUR, so depends if your CCNP is worth it to you or your employer...

True, but if they reimburse exam costs, it's no monetary cost to the test-taker.

SimonV

Which reminds me I need to take TSHOOT in 2019 :)

deanwebb

Quote from: SimonV on December 07, 2018, 04:49:25 PM
Which reminds me I need to take TSHOOT in 2019 :)

Should we get a study group going so everyone can review?

icecream-guy

:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

SofaKing

I'm currently working on my MS in Cybersecurity which I'll have completed by April 2020.  Only two classes left but only taking one class a year so work foots the bill ;).  I plan on getting my CISSP by the middle of this year.
Networking -  You can talk about us but you can't talk without us!

Otanx

I was told the other week that CISSP is going to be a requirement for my new role. So I guess that. Also doing the Palo Alto PCNSE. We had the classes so just need to take the tests.

-Otanx

SimonV

Passed JNCDA today, now I need to step back from Juniper and focus on them Fortigates :)

deanwebb

Quote from: SimonV on January 04, 2019, 03:34:56 PM
Passed JNCDA today, now I need to step back from Juniper and focus on them Fortigates :)
:applause:

SimonV

Combined with the JCNIA I had and the JNCIA-Cloud I took in september, this also makes me a JNCIAx3. Recruiters will go bonkers now  :o