Certification and Career Goals for 2019

Started by deanwebb, December 05, 2018, 12:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

Quote from: SimonV on January 07, 2019, 11:55:35 AM
Combined with the JCNIA I had and the JNCIA-Cloud I took in september, this also makes me a JNCIAx3. Recruiters will go bonkers now  :o

Lots of Juniper in Europe, so that's a good call to make.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

DesertFox

Hello, I finally succed to land my first security job. A big service provider decides to outsource a whole new center here and needed security guys (like a bunch of), so your dear is now into the security team. And I have started my PWK  (not that I have time for it).

deanwebb

Quote from: DesertFox on June 05, 2019, 08:40:25 AM
Hello, I finally succed to land my first security job. A big service provider decides to outsource a whole new center here and needed security guys (like a bunch of), so your dear is now into the security team. And I have started my PWK  (not that I have time for it).

Awesome! Welcome to security!

You will want to print off a copy of the image below and keep it at your workplace:

:notthefirewall:

When people walk up, point to it and it may answer the question they were about to ask. :smug:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

wintermute000

Well I abandoned my RHCSA dreams after realising that memorising how to partition LVM disks, debug selinux labels and all that jazz was only tangentially related to my job. Did go through the linux academy course anyway which taught me a few new tricks and indoctrinated me in the 'red hat way' like using firewalld, systemctl and nmcli instead of good old fashioned iptables and /etc/network/interfaces and all that jazz. I figured that I'd need a ton of time at the linux console to memorise the commands for RHCSA standard, but why bother when I can literally do every task in the syllabus if given google and 5 minutes, just don't have the daily XP to have the exact commands / config file locations etc. memorised. Its given me a new appreciation for how hard the RHCE is though, eff me memorising all that detail for mysql and apache and postfix and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Knocked out an AWS Advanced Networking Specialty instead so at least I got something productive done!

Debating what to do next, dive back into more linux, K8, NSX-T..... Azure (barfs but they're hoovering up traditional enterprise something shocking, but can I be arsed to memorise another cloud...).

BTW strongly recommend linux academy subscription. a quarter the price of a typical 5-day course, and all the linux/cloud you can drink.

Otanx

Quote from: Otanx on December 28, 2018, 03:17:57 PM
I was told the other week that CISSP is going to be a requirement for my new role. So I guess that. Also doing the Palo Alto PCNSE. We had the classes so just need to take the tests.

-Otanx

Time for the 6 month checkup. CISSP is still on the table. Doing a boot camp in October when SANS comes to town. I could probably pass it without the class, but a week out of work would be nice, and the conference is held right next to one of my favorite cigar lounges. Never did the PCNSE. Probably next year thing now. However, I have my free shot at CCIE Written next week at Cisco Live. Doing it on Thursday this year. Last year I took it early in the week, and then in class later in the week I learned stuff that would have maybe bumped me enough to have passed. If I pass that then I need to make the decision on pursuing the lab, or not. I don't feel the stuff I need to learn for the lab would help me as much as studying Automation, VXLAN, etc. However, it has been a goal for a long time.

-Otanx

icecream-guy

have a practice test for my Palo PCCSA this afternoon.  been through the course and read the book twice.  it seems fairly straight forward. unless they start nailing questions about Aperture, Evident, wildfire and Traps.. hope to do the real test by 4-jul. That'll give me about 3 months to cram in my CCNP Troubleshoot to renew my Cisco certs before they expire.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Writing whitepapers that will one day make it into training and certs for my $VENDOR's product.

This is basically my ticket to ride, going forward.

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on June 11, 2019, 04:40:06 PM
Writing whitepapers that will one day make it into training and certs for my $VENDOR's product.

Going the Technical Writer route?
or the tests will be easy-pesy since you practically wrote the exam training material.
(which of course, you would have to know the questions to make sure you covered all the tested concepts)
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Quote from: ristau5741 on June 12, 2019, 07:20:52 AM
Quote from: deanwebb on June 11, 2019, 04:40:06 PM

Going the Technical Writer route?
or the tests will be easy-pesy since you practically wrote the exam training material.
(which of course, you would have to know the questions to make sure you covered all the tested concepts)

Kinda sorta... more like putting my byline on stuff that all my customers are going to read. :smug:

Doing more research and study on OT stuff because I'm moving more into those industrial environments.

srg

Hm, thought I did mention my May CCDE attempt here.. maybe not. However, results came a couple of days ago, and PASS! :ninjaturtle:

som om sinnet hade svartnat för evigt.

Otanx

Quote from: srg on July 22, 2019, 03:29:00 AM
Hm, thought I did mention my May CCDE attempt here.. maybe not. However, results came a couple of days ago, and PASS! :ninjaturtle:

Congrats man. That is awesome.

-Otanx

deanwebb

:applause:

wintermute000

OMG that is amazing. I only know a tiny handful who have crossed that line. Big congratulations, I know how hard and how wide that test is!!!

deanwebb

Also much kudos on using :: notation for your CCDE number! :smug:

Otanx

Renewed my CCNP on Friday. Took TSHOOT and got a 846 score. Passing is 846. CISSP exam is going to be on Jan 4. Can't schedule it any sooner. Apparently only one test center in town can offer it.

-Otanx