Netflow

Started by deanwebb, April 17, 2015, 04:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

What's a good, intermediate to expert level resource on Netflow?
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

wintermute000

a linux box, google and the word 'nfsen'

no seriously, what do you want to know? The down and dirty details on the protocol or the practical side of 'how do I get something that will give me the top 20 talkers'

routerdork

All I've ever used is the Cisco doc for the platform I'm planning to setup. The only time I really ever saw a major difference was doing it on IOS-XR.
"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." -Abraham Lincoln

deanwebb

Quote from: wintermute000 on April 21, 2015, 06:45:08 AM
a linux box, google and the word 'nfsen'

no seriously, what do you want to know? The down and dirty details on the protocol or the practical side of 'how do I get something that will give me the top 20 talkers'

A combination of both, but on a technical level not found in the marketing slicks or pre-sales literature.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Fred

Quote from: deanwebb on April 21, 2015, 07:43:29 PM
A combination of both, but on a technical level not found in the marketing slicks or pre-sales literature.
There really isn't much to know at a high level. Netflow sends header information to a collector to report on bandwidth used per flow.  On high traffic links you may want to use sampling to reduce the overhead.