Apple iWatch teardown

Started by icecream-guy, April 24, 2015, 07:23:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

icecream-guy

:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Always fun to watch a disassembly process. Thanks!
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

routerdork

I just don't see myself spending the money for one of these. I'm pretty hard on my watches.
"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." -Abraham Lincoln

deanwebb

I've already seen pics of shattered Apple Watch screens. Not good.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Otanx

LynK

Quote from: Otanx on April 29, 2015, 10:40:08 PM
Two more teardown videos. These guys do it faster than ifixit team does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbPoJX-HQf8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8sxwK2pJI4

-Otanx

i mean... this two videos were a waste of time... I do not own an iwatch, nor will i because it is 350 dollars.... but lets be realistic. Taking a sledgehammer to a watch? Taking a watch to a grinder? Most watches would not even come close to these tests. Except maybe a diving watch...

Lets be realistic here.. the biggest chance of damage is due to dropping the watch, or maybe abrasions while in use. How about show me videos on these areas... areas which are relevant to the actual use of the device... this is like taking a tire, and seeing if it is bulletproof. You do not need to know this information. How does ride on the pavement, it is loud, how is the traction, how does it fare when going over glass/nails/etc.

How does the watch fare when dropping in a bucket of water? how about when swimming in a pool? Is the screen scratch proof? How durable is the wrist strap?

I am sorry for the rant, but these videos are very off-based.
Sys Admin: "You have a stuck route"
            Me: "You have an incorrect Default Gateway"

Otanx

Quote from: LynK on April 30, 2015, 10:15:24 AM
Quote from: Otanx on April 29, 2015, 10:40:08 PM
Two more teardown videos. These guys do it faster than ifixit team does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbPoJX-HQf8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8sxwK2pJI4

-Otanx

i mean... this two videos were a waste of time... I do not own an iwatch, nor will i because it is 350 dollars.... but lets be realistic. Taking a sledgehammer to a watch? Taking a watch to a grinder? Most watches would not even come close to these tests. Except maybe a diving watch...

Lets be realistic here.. the biggest chance of damage is due to dropping the watch, or maybe abrasions while in use. How about show me videos on these areas... areas which are relevant to the actual use of the device... this is like taking a tire, and seeing if it is bulletproof. You do not need to know this information. How does ride on the pavement, it is loud, how is the traction, how does it fare when going over glass/nails/etc.

How does the watch fare when dropping in a bucket of water? how about when swimming in a pool? Is the screen scratch proof? How durable is the wrist strap?

I am sorry for the rant, but these videos are very off-based.

You do understand the point of the videos isn't to be realistic and show how strong the watch is, or promote it in any way? The point of one video is to sell blenders, and the other is just to make money from Youtube on views because people like me will link to it, and they get a penny or fraction thereof for each view. Add that up to a few thousand view, and they make some money even after paying for the watch. The only reason they use the iWatch is to feed off all the marketing, and hype around it.

-Otanx

routerdork

this is like taking a tire, and seeing if it is bulletproof
This is important to me. I gotta know if I can make it home from the grocery store before my ice cream melts.
"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." -Abraham Lincoln

LynK

Quote from: routerdork on April 30, 2015, 11:11:34 AM
This is important to me. I gotta know if I can make it home from the grocery store before my ice cream melts.

Pregnant momma has her needs. Dont let nothing interfere :developers:
Sys Admin: "You have a stuck route"
            Me: "You have an incorrect Default Gateway"

routerdork

Quote from: LynK on May 04, 2015, 07:56:17 AM
Quote from: routerdork on April 30, 2015, 11:11:34 AM

Pregnant momma has her needs. Dont let nothing interfere :developers:
Oh crap. I sure hope she isn't  :wall: :'(

Dieselboy