Replacing my old 3560

Started by deanwebb, October 01, 2019, 10:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

Had it for 2 years now... it's done me well, but I think it's time to move to a newer switch that makes less noise and less heat. If you all have any ideas on what's good these days for the SOHO gang, let me know.

I use 9 ports for my lab right now, would like to have 24 ports or more. I would also like the ability to run a SPAN session off the switch because that's what my $VENDOR product likes to use for gathering information.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

deanwebb

Oh yeah, it also needs to be able to do layer 3 stuff.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

Otanx

Do you care if it is Cisco? 3560X would be the upgrade. If not Dell 2024 I think (don't work with Dell) may be a good solution. I don't know if it does everything you need. You could go whitebox, fs.com has some cheap switches.

-Otanx

deanwebb

How does the 3560X compare with the 3560 in terms of noise and heat? Also, how does the SG350-24 stand up in those areas?

Cisco is good, it's what's at the top of my $VENDOR compatibility list. If that Dell 2024 is a Force10 switch, then I can get it to work with $VENDOR. Juniper and HPE also have pretty broad support with my employer's product.

Otanx

Quote from: deanwebb on October 01, 2019, 12:35:03 PM
How does the 3560X compare with the 3560 in terms of noise and heat? Also, how does the SG350-24 stand up in those areas?

Cisco is good, it's what's at the top of my $VENDOR compatibility list. If that Dell 2024 is a Force10 switch, then I can get it to work with $VENDOR. Juniper and HPE also have pretty broad support with my employer's product.

The 24 port 3560X is probably going to be the same noise as a 3560. There are 8 port versions that are fanless. I have heard of people pulling the fans, and faking the fan speed back to the system. I wouldn't do it.

-Otanx

Dieselboy

deanwebb

^Need more than a year, thought of that...

How about a Cisco SG350-24? I don't need the PoE features on other devices.

Otanx

No experience with the SG line. I am sure they work, but not sure of limitations. They are just big Linksys boxes. I would look at Belkin as well. I know you are certified on them.

-Otanx

mmcgurty

What about something in the Ubiquiti line?  I have a friend that runs a computer business and he raves about them.

Dieselboy

SimonV

Do you really need 24 ports? There are quite a few fanless (no-noise) switches with around 12 ports.

deanwebb

Quote from: SimonV on October 04, 2019, 03:34:14 AM
Do you really need 24 ports? There are quite a few fanless (no-noise) switches with around 12 ports.
I can do with 12 ports, sure... got some recommendations there?

Quote from: Otanx on October 03, 2019, 04:37:41 PM
No experience with the SG line. I am sure they work, but not sure of limitations. They are just big Linksys boxes. I would look at Belkin as well. I know you are certified on them.

-Otanx

Why yes, yes I am... :smug:

But I'm also looking at gear that's on the Forescout compatibility matrix. Cisco stuff is best represented there, don't think I got any Belkin on that list.

dlots

Cisco 3750x and 3750g are pretty good, from $160 or $70
gig
can do L3