Wireless fail

Started by Nerm, May 01, 2015, 10:25:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nerm

This is an example of why you don't let cousin "Bob" who "owns a local mom/pop computer store" design and implement your wireless infrastructure. Can you guess their problem areas from the image? lol

*Note: wall dimensions are not exact just a quick representation of what I walked into yesterday.

deanwebb

I lol'd. All the people in the building on the left are going to be crowded up next to that wall, there.

Our building heatmaps are quite the opposite... basically, we're going to all DIE if wireless radio frequencies can cause cancer or something nasty like that. We've got so much wireless coverage, you can cut it with a knife. And why? We plan to go 100% over to wireless one day...
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

routerdork

I actually have to go out and do a site survey next week. We hired a company to come in and do it. Location is saying things are worse than before.
"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." -Abraham Lincoln

fortworthtechs

Check out the routers as they typically offer two common forms of security: WEP, and Wi-Fi protected Access (WAP) encryption. Both are easy to enable you will get maximum protection from the WPA.   :)

hizzo3

Ugh small business. I get upset every time I scan for WiFi and I find WPS or WEP. Didn't the credit card industry ban those if you want to run cards? If it wasn't illegal, I'd blackmail everyone of those business by hacking their network, sniffing some of the traffic, and show them... Then charge them a reasonable fee to fix it. Only if....

Then again homeowners aren't in the clear. My gf let Time Warner set up her router and do security on it. They left the WPS on it... I figured it was a netgear so it would have the brute force fix on it... Nope... 30 mins later... I was in. Oh and the passphrase was her phone number. :developers:

deanwebb

Quote from: hizzo3 on September 09, 2015, 06:05:18 PM
Then again homeowners aren't in the clear. My gf let Time Warner set up her router and do security on it. They left the WPS on it... I figured it was a netgear so it would have the brute force fix on it... Nope... 30 mins later... I was in. Oh and the passphrase was her phone number. :developers:

:haha4:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

Nerm

Quote from: hizzo3 on September 09, 2015, 06:05:18 PM
Ugh small business. I get upset every time I scan for WiFi and I find WPS or WEP. Didn't the credit card industry ban those if you want to run cards?

Yes, violates compliance with PCI, HIPAA, GLBA, and probably more.

wintermute000

I just finished a job @ a health care related org (not small biccies... 10 sites, ~100 network devices) who were running pre-shared key across their entire wireless fleet.

The only defence is that it was WPA2 but still.... (and yes, TKIP lol).... so I guess they bought a WLC because its easier to change the password in one place? (not that the PW had been changed since the WLC got installed).

Nerm

deanwebb