New Cisco certs

Started by Dieselboy, January 16, 2020, 08:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

Yeah, not a lot of love for renewing my CCNP-Security from this writer... :smug:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

config t

Quote from: deanwebb on February 27, 2020, 06:39:22 AM
Yeah, not a lot of love for renewing my CCNP-Security from this writer... :smug:

With the free CCNP Sec training credits I'm getting the only useful specialization I can see doing is ISE, since my customer uses it.

Are we enemies now?  :XD:
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

deanwebb

Not if you deliver the "better together" marketing message. :D
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

merxvell

Goals for this year

• Top priority is RHCSA as I use linux every day and want to continue
  • Get Cisco devnet as having a good mix of programing and networking sound like a good combo
  • Learn more about CISSP and see If i want to grab that cert
  • Learn more and decide between palo alto, juniper or extreme networking cert for the rest of the year
  • Buy a house
  • Switch jobs after wedding

Edit
Finish setting up the landing page for personal site.

[/list]

Dieselboy

I use Linux every day. Currently I'm re-architecting an Openstack (train) deployment. I looked into the Linux+ exam and I got about a 3rd the way through the book and couldnt help keep falling asleep. It was dry as anything. It wasnt just a light sleep either, more like a coma. So I done the university module on Linux and didnt bother with the exam - it was just memorising commands according to the study guide.
Then a bit more recently I looked into the Microsoft Linux exams - that looks a bit better. You get access to a VM to complete the test and you can use the man pages for help. But I basically wing it with google and documentation so I dont have confidence on passing.

We're a Red Hat partner - whats the RHCSA exam like? Good luck with it also.

merxvell

Quote from: Dieselboy on March 10, 2020, 10:26:10 PM
We're a Red Hat partner - whats the RHCSA exam like? Good luck with it also.

From what I understand you get a busted up VM and you have to fix it and answer questions. I've seen stuff like this but I've never taken it but plan to either by 4/11/2020 or the end of april...

https://www.unixmen.com/everything-know-rhcsa-certification/
https://blog.fpmurphy.com/2016/09/so-you-think-you-are-ready-for-the-rhcsa-exam.html

wintermute000

RHCSA is very well regarded. Its also a real lab exam. People fail because they can't fix GRUB and can't finish the rest of the steps.
I did the linux academy course but because I'm not a sysadmin I don't need to memorise that much linux so I'd never pass without some hardcore CLI hours and memorisation that I don't think I'll get much value of. If the exam was twice as long and you could google I reckon I could pass it. I know enough to keep my homegrown ZFS/docker/KVM server running (that also serves as a multilayer router, yes NAT via iptables ugh) for example.

Dieselboy

Thanks Merxvell

Wintermute that's my problem... If I have any problem with linux I start digging and looking for answers or pointers. Cant do that in exam, so tbh it's an unrealistic approach to testing ones skills. ;)

merxvell

Quote from: wintermute000 on March 11, 2020, 05:56:39 PM
RHCSA is very well regarded. Its also a real lab exam. People fail because they can't fix GRUB and can't finish the rest of the steps.
I did the linux academy course but because I'm not a sysadmin I don't need to memorise that much linux so I'd never pass without some hardcore CLI hours and memorisation that I don't think I'll get much value of. If the exam was twice as long and you could google I reckon I could pass it. I know enough to keep my homegrown ZFS/docker/KVM server running (that also serves as a multilayer router, yes NAT via iptables ugh) for example.

I hate troubleshooting iptables. Thank god the config on the stuff at work is only 50 lines long.

Quote from: Dieselboy on March 11, 2020, 08:45:30 PM
Thanks Merxvell

Wintermute that's my problem... If I have any problem with linux I start digging and looking for answers or pointers. Cant do that in exam, so tbh it's an unrealistic approach to testing ones skills. ;)

Just wget a pdf from a self hosted server outside of the network with the answers.

In all seriousness are man pages allowed on the exam?

wintermute000

Yes man pages no Google or external access
If you can't boot or fix bad selinux labels you can't even read the man pages ha