Wiring corner house in a city

Started by merxvell, February 13, 2020, 09:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merxvell

Anyone have any experience running ethernet cable through a 1920 lathe and plaster wall house? Looked at the vents and they're sealed tight, crawl spaces are... small but there to say the least. Not exactly human compatible. No attic with a mass amount of crawl space access either, only basement. I also asked a friend of mine to help me try to map out wire paths on Saturday but I have no idea how well that will go. Landlord doesn't give a hoot since I'm her brother too so no worry about that. Demarcation is outside with a cable that then runs to a coax splitter in the basement. 90% of outlets are dual prong too so EOP isn't ideal.

Literally any guides help or anything would be useful. Thanks.

Dieselboy

No experience but I have networked a few old mansions by way of wifi, repeaters  :twitch: and another option could be powerline adapters (these use the mains wiring for network). I use powerline at my place because the fibre from the street comes in behind the refrigerator in the kitchen 🙈 and I have to get that internet the router which in the TV cabinet.

icecream-guy

:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

You might want to go with the powerline adapters if you have walls with wire mesh and aggregate behind the plasterboards. No drilling there unless you're ready to do some major wall surgery or replacing.

Also, you want to be sure to properly cover your holes with a wall plate so that they don't become where the roaches and rats get into your living space.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

merxvell

sorry for the lack of replying. Found some EOP for dual prong so I'll look into them. Also asked an electrician friend of ours to come over since my mom said she would cover the expenses or my sister would cover the expenses as it's her house (with her permission of course). Anyone have any experience with this one in particular (if links aren't allowed sorry it's just a product)

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/powerline/tl-pa7010-kit/

deanwebb

I've seen similar gear in other places, the technology works. No experience with that model specifically, but if it has good reviews, I'd say give it a go if the price is right.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Dieselboy

Quote from: merxvell on February 17, 2020, 08:05:53 PM
sorry for the lack of replying. Found some EOP for dual prong so I'll look into them. Also asked an electrician friend of ours to come over since my mom said she would cover the expenses or my sister would cover the expenses as it's her house (with her permission of course). Anyone have any experience with this one in particular (if links aren't allowed sorry it's just a product)

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/powerline/tl-pa7010-kit/

Quote from: https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/powerline/tl-pa7010-kit/AV1000 Gigabit Powerline Starter Kit

I prefer powerline over wifi! I use powerline adapters to get the 50MB Ethernet WAN connection from the wall box fibre to copper hand-off point in my apartment to the openwrt router elsewhere in the house. I could not (easily) use wifi for that, and this means I can have the router in a better place in the house instead of by the wall box where the fibre comes in to the building. Good choice. The only downsides to this is that they are not `supposed`to work across ring-main. So from what I understand about this (I'm no electrician) is that for example, the upstairs plug points are on a different ring to the downstairs plugpoints. But in my mums place back in UK I had no trouble linking the modem which was downstairs to my PC in the bedroom upstairs through the RCD box.

merxvell

Quote from: Dieselboy on February 27, 2020, 12:58:06 AM
I prefer powerline over wifi! I use powerline adapters to get the 50MB Ethernet WAN connection from the wall box fibre to copper hand-off point in my apartment to the openwrt router elsewhere in the house. I could not (easily) use wifi for that, and this means I can have the router in a better place in the house instead of by the wall box where the fibre comes in to the building. Good choice. The only downsides to this is that they are not `supposed`to work across ring-main. So from what I understand about this (I'm no electrician) is that for example, the upstairs plug points are on a different ring to the downstairs plugpoints. But in my mums place back in UK I had no trouble linking the modem which was downstairs to my PC in the bedroom upstairs through the RCD box.

I would prefer powerline the main issue is that most of, if not all of the outlets are on different rings for each other from where the router is ideally connected. It works but last I checked I got around 2mb down but then again i was using a pretty crappy EOP device. I'll check up on that but even then I'm having an electrician come by Monday, landlord said they probably should upgrade the electric in the house anyway.