I Love My Job, This is F'n Awesome

Started by that1guy15, May 07, 2015, 11:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

that1guy15

Everyone has shitty days and wishes they where not in networking.
What about the times that where fucking awesome and you went full on geek, the hairs on the back of your neck stood up and you would chop your arm off instead of leaving. And you loved every second of it?

Cool, well I will get started and drop mine in as we go!

Working for $largeServiceProvider we had Cisco in town to deploy new Video on Demand (VoD) servers. During the days work I found out two of the three guys I'm working with are CCIEs. I flip nuts as I had never been in the presence of a CCIE. These guys knew there shit and we had a great day of deployment and geek-talk, until cut-over.

Cut-over meant starting to add customer streams to the new servers. Instantly we noticed issues. Everyone goes full on troubleshooting mode. I will never forget the reaction of those guys shifting to troubleshooting mode.

It took me a couple minutes, then I realized that I am in the thick of an issue and am surrounded by multiple CCIEs and we are doing this together! The giddy in me I dont think has ever been higher.

We banged away at the issue for almost an hour until we resolved our DSCP marking was being blocked at the core.

I walked away that night on cloud 9 as I was able to hang with a couple CCIEs! Watching them work and troubleshoot was what dreams are made of!

Of course I tell my wife this and she just roles her eyes and calls me a geek.
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

EOS

Sounds like some good sh*t!!

How was their troubleshooting mode different than a non-CCIE?

Nerm

that1guy15

Quote from: EOS on May 08, 2015, 07:04:42 AM

Not just CCIEs but high-level engineers can just smell the solution. You sit back and think "Wow! How the hell did they know that?" And this is usually "been there, done that" aka experience.

Troubleshooting is what separates the men from the boys.
That1guy15
@that1guy_15

that1guy15

That1guy15
@that1guy_15

EOS

Quote from: that1guy15 on May 08, 2015, 08:26:45 AM
Quote from: EOS on May 08, 2015, 07:04:42 AM

Not just CCIEs but high-level engineers can just smell the solution. You sit back and think "Wow! How the hell did they know that?" And this is usually "been there, done that" aka experience.

Troubleshooting is what separates the men from the boys.

That must have been cool to watch!

Make you want to go for your CCIE?

that1guy15

Quote from: EOS on May 08, 2015, 08:56:45 AM

Its the moment that made me set the goal of CCIE before I hit 35yo. I have 3 months...
That1guy15
@that1guy_15

routerdork

Quote from: that1guy15 on May 08, 2015, 08:58:20 AM

Its the moment that made me set the goal of CCIE before I hit 35yo. I have 3 months...
You make the deadline and I'll be sure to send you a bottle of celebration liquid!
"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." -Abraham Lincoln

deanwebb

Good thread, as I'm having one of those days where I'm bogged down in the politics of a large company, trying to get the approval of multiple groups in order to get a resource I need for my project. I suppose that when I get the resource, I'll have one of those off-the-chart days, but for now, I just need to remember the awesome times.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

EOS

Whoa!!!    I'm guessing you have it scheduled already?

that1guy15

Quote from: deanwebb on May 08, 2015, 09:49:20 AM
Good thread, as I'm having one of those days where I'm bogged down in the politics of a large company, trying to get the approval of multiple groups in order to get a resource I need for my project. I suppose that when I get the resource, I'll have one of those off-the-chart days, but for now, I just need to remember the awesome times.

Exactly why this was created last night. I am in day 3 right now of two separate fights with two different departments who are completely incompetent and expect me to do everything for them, even though its there issue. Life sucks right now at work...
That1guy15
@that1guy_15

that1guy15

Quote from: routerdork on May 08, 2015, 09:29:54 AM

You make the deadline and I'll be sure to send you a bottle of celebration liquid!

Quote from: EOS on May 08, 2015, 09:54:00 AM
Whoa!!!    I'm guessing you have it scheduled already?

Thanks!
This will be attempt number 3. Im thinking I missed my last by 1 TS ticket. I have to wait 90 days now so July is when I can test again. Plan to hit it then. 
That1guy15
@that1guy_15

NetworkGroover

Quote from: Nerm on May 08, 2015, 07:55:38 AM
Someone has a nerd boner lol.

He just watched them and he was like....  :excited: :excited: :excited:

Dry-humping commenced shortly afterward....  :lol:

Jokes... jokes...
Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

deanwebb

Quote from: that1guy15 on May 08, 2015, 10:25:13 AM
Quote from: deanwebb on May 08, 2015, 09:49:20 AM

Exactly why this was created last night. I am in day 3 right now of two separate fights with two different departments who are completely incompetent and expect me to do everything for them, even though its there issue. Life sucks right now at work...

I'll tell you what keeps me from up and spamming recruiters with my resume (other than the sheer idiocy of that move): my current manager.

This guy fights battles for me and is an all-around great guy. He's very professional, sets a great example, and allows me schedule flexibility so long as "stuff gets done." If I left, I'd feel like I was betraying him, and that would make me sick, even if it was for double the money and benefits.

Now, if there were *two* openings at this company offering double money and benefits for the same work, my manager would kick my butt if I didn't take him with me.

Since there aren't any complete doubles of my current compensation on the table (that I know of), I have to think about the monetary value of a manager that I really work well with... and it's very high.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.