Anonymous mail to police

Started by AnonymousMan, April 05, 2020, 08:01:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnonymousMan

Hi. I would like to send an anonymouse e-mail to police. I created a special Protonmail account for this. However I am not sure if they can track me somehow. Is it enough that I use free ProtonVPN to hide my IP? I would do this from the place where I live as there is the damn coronavirus quarantine in my country.

Thanks.

icecream-guy

well, now that you signed up for an account here, and asked that question, a good detective could find you out.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

AnonymousMan

Email assigned to this account has nothing to do with the email from which I will be sending to police.
So, has anyone a good answer to my question?
My main consern here is this: is it possible to track my real IP even if I use ProtonVPN (free version) ?

deanwebb

Quote from: AnonymousMan on April 05, 2020, 10:44:44 AM
Email assigned to this account has nothing to do with the email from which I will be sending to police.
So, has anyone a good answer to my question?
My main consern here is this: is it possible to track my real IP even if I use ProtonVPN (free version) ?

Yes. While the VPN may hide the IP address, the provider of the email address will still have to surrender records pursuant to an investigation that would indicate the owner of said email. Local ISP login/logout data can also be correlated to the message itself, giving an idea about possible matching accounts.

Basically, if you want to do something anonymously, don't use the Internet.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

dlots

So it's not impossible to find you, but VPN to Country A, sign up for an email who's company/servers are in country B (A and B aren't friendly to US)

deanwebb

Quote from: dlots on April 06, 2020, 05:09:17 PM
So it's not impossible to find you, but VPN to Country A, sign up for an email who's company/servers are in country B (A and B aren't friendly to US)

But, at such a point, we have to ask if this person is engaging in criminal activity. If so, we have to draw the line here - we're not advocating legal circumvention - and it's important to underline that *it's not impossible to find you.*

Consider that the SilkRoad guy got taken down, and so have other people who supposed they were able to remain anonymous on the Internet. ***If you want to remain anonymous, don't involve the Internet!***
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.