Moderator Volunteer Thread - Limited Time Only!

Started by Netwörkheäd, January 03, 2015, 06:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Netwörkheäd

If you would like to offer up your services as a moderator, volunteer here.

REQUIREMENTS:
1. I know you from the other forums.
2. You promise to help the community define the ground rules for moderation. We're going to feel our way with this and find what's comfortable, so your input will be needed to keep the policies we make relevant.

That's it. I'll lock the thread when we've got a good number of mods. If the thread is locked and you want to be a mod, PM me. Simple as that. If I let you in, beautiful. If not, it's not personal, it's just that either I don't know you well enough or that we're not in the need for a moderator at the time. We're here to talk networking first and foremost, so being a moderator just means you help keep folks focused - and protect against the scourge of spam.
Let's not argue. Let's network!

Fred

I don't know the frequency you're looking for, but I check 3-4 times a week. I'd be happy to help.

My philosophy is that forums should generally be self-policing, so moderators should try to show restraint.  That said, set some ground rules for users:
1) Be polite. No personal attacks.
2) Help people find the answer when possible, rather than giving them the answer.
3) Avoid answering test/homework questions directly, but provide guidance.
4) No direct links to copyrighted/pirated works.

For moderators:
1) When possible, lock threads rather than delete content.
2) Edit content to remove illegal/grey content and/or braindumps, only when a clear violation has occurred.
3) Always post an explanation of your actions.

Hopefully you know me from networking-forum.com. 

Netwörkheäd

Quote from: Fred on January 03, 2015, 07:35:11 PM
I don't know the frequency you're looking for, but I check 3-4 times a week. I'd be happy to help.

My philosophy is that forums should generally be self-policing, so moderators should try to show restraint.  That said, set some ground rules for users:
1) Be polite. No personal attacks.
2) Help people find the answer when possible, rather than giving them the answer.
3) Avoid answering test/homework questions directly, but provide guidance.
4) No direct links to copyrighted/pirated works.

For moderators:
1) When possible, lock threads rather than delete content.
2) Edit content to remove illegal/grey content and/or braindumps, only when a clear violation has occurred.
3) Always post an explanation of your actions.

Hopefully you know me from networking-forum.com. 
Great suggestions, and I've got you set up as a moderator now. We can talk more in the mod discussion area. I like it best when a forum leadership discusses its policy in private and then shows a united front in public.

Also, I plan to use this account only when doing upgrade/maintenance/other major work with the forum. I'm going to set up a user account for my actual posting here. It's one thing when "deanwebb", a CCNP says to do something with a firewall, and quite another when "THE FORUM ADMIN!!!" says to do something with a firewall.
Let's not argue. Let's network!

wintermute000

Happy to help though I'm not 100% sure what exactly is required lol

Ironman

I am also happy to help out! Also, I like the names you put to identify our ranking. . . Backbone Router, lol!

deanwebb

You guys are mods. If you can see the mod forums, you know you're a mod. I set it as a secondary group, so we won't have a forum that looks like all the members are mods or admins. We can talk about the virtues of stealth vs. open mods in the mods area.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Atrum

I'd be up for helping defend the forum from spam. I usually check the forum at the start of the work day and then randomly throughout the afternoons and evenings.

PS: I was G1lgam3sh on the other forums

deanwebb

Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

mynd

I'd be happy to help. I'm with wintermute000 in not knowing the exact requirements. I used the same alias on the previous forum :)

deanwebb

Welcome aboard, mynd. Adding your posts and setting you up. Guidelines are in the moderator area.

vito_corleone

NetworkGroover

As I'm looking to start up studies again shortly, I will definitely have an increased presence.  If you still need help, I'll volunteer.

This is N3tworx, or Steve King, from the previous forum.  Glad to see some familiar faces.
Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

deanwebb

Quote from: AspiringNetworker on January 04, 2015, 09:35:17 PM
As I'm looking to start up studies again shortly, I will definitely have an increased presence.  If you still need help, I'll volunteer.

This is N3tworx, or Steve King, from the previous forum.  Glad to see some familiar faces.

Now I know who to look up to get your legacy posts.

NetworkGroover

94 as N3tworx (however I spelled it) - my other account was deleted which had many more as I've been on for years.  Honestly though - not worried about post count. ;)
Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

deanwebb

I found a "retired account" with 3500 posts, so I blamed them on you.