It's official - Gartner names Cisco and Arista as Leaders in the DC Market

Started by NetworkGroover, May 14, 2015, 06:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NetworkGroover

Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

deanwebb

Which one delivers the best ACI solution?

:problem?:

But seriously, does this mean I'm going to start seeing Arista mentioned in architectural discussion?
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Reggle

Quote from: deanwebb on May 14, 2015, 08:56:11 PMBut seriously, does this mean I'm going to start seeing Arista mentioned in architectural discussion?
You didn't yet? They are impressive on paper.

deanwebb

Well, I'm in security, so admittedly, I don't see many discussions regarding switch/router vendors. Now, if they were building custom hardware to go behind a vendor's nameplate, I'd be quite interested to hear about that.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

NetworkGroover

Quote from: deanwebb on May 14, 2015, 08:56:11 PM
Which one delivers the best ACI solution?

:problem?:

But seriously, does this mean I'm going to start seeing Arista mentioned in architectural discussion?

Cisco's clearly better at delivering lock-in solutions like ACI - as their past has shown and Gartner points out...  :problem?:

You'll probably hear about Arista when you start discussing how to build a real data center...   :drama:

wintermute000

I dunno, maybe I worship @ the altar of Pepiljnak too much, but I'm inclined to agree with his assessment that the solution that wins has historically been simple core complex edge i.e. overlay SDN, not ACI (aka lets sell moar boxes). That has always been the solution that wins in the past - X25/ATM/Frame to BGP/MPLS, TDM to VOIP, Token Ring to Ethernet.

NetworkGroover

Quote from: wintermute000 on June 04, 2015, 08:08:02 PM
I dunno, maybe I worship @ the altar of Pepiljnak too much, but I'm inclined to agree with his assessment that the solution that wins has historically been simple core complex edge i.e. overlay SDN, not ACI (aka lets sell moar boxes). That has always been the solution that wins in the past - X25/ATM/Frame to BGP/MPLS, TDM to VOIP, Token Ring to Ethernet.

I think Ivan writes some really good stuff. That aside, of course I'm inclined to agree as well.  Anyone can technically do SDN, only one vendor can do ACI.  I think everyone knows at this point, at least I hope they do, that putting all your eggs in one basket just isn't wise.  Especially if that basket comes with a locked lid.

We all know that leveraging open solutions and running multi-vendor environments was a good idea in the past, but I've never seen the traction those concepts are picking up like they are right now (Maybe it's just because I work in the DC space now where I haven't before). Granted, when I say "multi-vendor", it's really more about having the OPTION to swap one of your boxes with another vendor's box if they happen to build a better one.  If you're running standard protocols it should just work.  That said, the majority of folks probably don't run multi-vendor switch fabrics in the DC, but having the OPTION keeps your vendor on their toes, honest, and competitive.  That's important.

I think in this day and age, at least in the data center, if you're still trying to push proprietary solutions that limit or completely eliminate customer choice, you better have an absolutely amazing product that does what no one else does, or otherwise be prepared to be shown the door.  That's not just opinion - that's from seeing or hearing about it in action.

When you start giving away gear, for almost free and in some extreme cases completely free just to stay in accounts, that's bad enough. When you do that and still lose.... that should be a wake up call that you need to go back to the drawing board and start over - fast.

deanwebb

Quote from: AspiringNetworker on June 05, 2015, 11:44:20 AM
When you start giving away gear, for almost free and in some extreme cases completely free just to stay in accounts, that's bad enough. When you do that and still lose.... that should be a wake up call that you need to go back to the drawing board and start over - fast.

Man, I am so quoting this for truth. So very quoting this for truth. It's one very big reason I don't want to work for Cisco, if I'm going to work for a vendor.

NetworkGroover

Quote from: deanwebb on June 08, 2015, 08:30:08 AM
Quote from: AspiringNetworker on June 05, 2015, 11:44:20 AM

Man, I am so quoting this for truth. So very quoting this for truth. It's one very big reason I don't want to work for Cisco, if I'm going to work for a vendor.

Well, keep in mind though, my opinion is coming from a specific space - the DC.  Outside of that, I'm not really trying to knock Cisco.  They have some solid solutions (I think?).

deanwebb

NetworkGroover