Cool New Stuff That Looks Cool

Started by deanwebb, June 12, 2020, 02:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

OK, so what's all the cool new stuff that looks cool out there?  8)

I hear a LOT of customers more and more talking about switching over to 100% wireless and 100% cloud-managed wireless. Reasons? Easier to support, expecting smaller footprints as they reduce office sizes, and the ability to extend office wireless into home offices.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

config t

We are still rocking out with old 3750 switches and 3900 series routers  :rock:

I see no new things.
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on June 12, 2020, 02:24:45 PM
talking about switching over to 100% wireless

now that is some cool stuff, and new, routing wirelessly.

192.168.0.1 <-> 103.41.67.92
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

dlots

Doing lots with Python these days, not really doing anything with any product that is really "new".

deanwebb

Quote from: dlots on June 15, 2020, 08:35:50 AM
Doing lots with Python these days, not really doing anything with any product that is really "new".

Not something a sales guy with something "new" wants to hear... :D
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

Dieselboy

mellanox? Although, not new.. NVIDIA just bought them.

NVIDIA's new AI stuff that integrates / utilises mellanox to have workloads consuming multiple systems ie the whole datacentre.

deanwebb

Quote from: Dieselboy on June 15, 2020, 09:45:51 PM

NVIDIA's new AI stuff that integrates / utilises mellanox to have workloads consuming multiple systems ie the whole datacentre.

This a new development in distributed computing?

config t

What are some of the resources you all use to keep up with emerging technologies and trends?
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

deanwebb

Quote from: config t on June 16, 2020, 08:25:22 AM
What are some of the resources you all use to keep up with emerging technologies and trends?

Asking my friends on message boards if they know anything that's cool... :smug:

Sometimes, it's looking at vendors guys I used to work with now work for. Some of those vendors, I dunno... I did have a buddy go over to Zscaler, though.

Otanx

Not new, but new to me. Been working with Zeek recently. Think Netflow on steroids. It is kind of cool the data I can pull from the traffic going over the wire. As an example I can log every certificate that goes by on the network, and then trigger an alert for certificates that expire in the next 7 days. Kind of a backup to our normal monitoring. I can also get stats on ssl including the negotiated ciphers. Lets us alert on systems trying to negotiate weak ciphers. Mainly this is a cyber security tool, but I can see a bunch of operational stuff this could help with.

Quote from: config t on June 16, 2020, 08:25:22 AM

Reading here, r/networking r/sysadmin on reddit. Also our VARs like to tell us about all the cool new stuff they could sell us. Even if I don't agree to a meeting I can google what they wanted to talk about.

-Otanx

Dieselboy

Quote from: deanwebb on June 16, 2020, 08:18:39 AM
Quote from: Dieselboy on June 15, 2020, 09:45:51 PM

This a new development in distributed computing?

NVIDIA says the new computer is being able to have a whole datacentre doing one job. NVIDIA basically have whole computers on cards (cpu being AMD, gpu being NVIDIA, RAM and mellanox networking).