Opening Ports - Draytek 2862Lac

Started by LeeWol, July 04, 2020, 12:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeWol

Good afternoon,

This is my very first post as I am after some help if possible.

I am currently using a Virgin Media SuperHub 3.0 in modem mode with a Draytek 2862Lac router but there are certain ports I cannot open.

I need to open certain ports such as 5060 & 5061 for SIP of which I can open port 5060 but it's still not opening port 5061 when I test the port status through using portcheckers.com.

Apologies in advance if this is a basic question but any idea's why this could be?

Many thnks.
Lee.

wintermute000

Dieselboy

Quote from: wintermute000 on July 05, 2020, 05:20:43 AM
um open port 5061 as well?

... maybe in case 5061 is not working it can fall back as a guess?

Quote from: LeeWol on July 04, 2020, 12:26:03 PM
Good afternoon,

This is my very first post as I am after some help if possible.

I am currently using a Virgin Media SuperHub 3.0 in modem mode with a Draytek 2862Lac router but there are certain ports I cannot open.

I need to open certain ports such as 5060 & 5061 for SIP of which I can open port 5060 but it's still not opening port 5061 when I test the port status through using portcheckers.com.

Apologies in advance if this is a basic question but any idea's why this could be?

Many thnks.
Lee.

Hi and welcome :) Since you sound as though you have managed to open up 5060 without issues then I assume you have a good understanding on how to do the same for 5061. Maybe the Draytek is not the issue in this case? Are you opening TCP/5061? You can check if you can open a TCP connection to the private IP of the VOIP system by using Telnet on Windows CLI (you need to install the feature from control panel ("turn windows features on or off" menu). Then you can run:
telnet [IP] 5061

Your system will try to establish a TCP connection with that device. IF the device is listening on tcp/5061 then you will get a connection open and the CLI window will indicate this by going blank or printing rubbish to the CLI.

IF that goes well then it may be the Draytek. What steps did you take in the Draytek? Have you tried to temporarily turn off the SIP ALG function to see if that has any affect? It may break SIP calls completely though so you may need to turn it on again after testing.

LeeWol

Hi & many thanks for your reply, i appreciate your help.

First of all in terms of the way I am opening the ports i am going into the NAT section & then into the 'Open Ports' sub section.  I have also tried it via the 'Port Forwarding' sub-section.

As I say I can open & close ports 5060, 80, etc no problem but ports 5061 & 10000 - 20000 it's failing to open.

I am using a website called portcheckers.com to check whether the ports are open or not.

I have consulted Virgin Media & they do block certain ports but these are not ones which they have listed so i'm now completely stumped.

Later this evening i might reboot the Virgin Superhub, put it back into router mode & check to make sure the existing port forwaridng rules have cleared then put it back into modem mode.  Do you think thats worth a  try?

deanwebb

Normally, I'll all about power cycling... even have a smiley for it:

:itcrowd:

But in this case, not so much, since we're dealing with a configuration issue. If the path for data is Internet -> Draytek -> Virgin Superhub -> home network, then the ports need to be permitted on both the Draytek and Superhub.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Dieselboy

Quote from: deanwebb on July 07, 2020, 09:06:24 AM

But in this case, not so much, since we're dealing with a configuration issue. If the path for data is Internet -> Draytek -> Virgin Superhub -> home network, then the ports need to be permitted on both the Draytek and Superhub.

You have a point here, although I assume the "modem mode" is passing the WAN IP to the Draytek and turning off the firewall. Maybe he's trying to open UDP ports.

Quote from: LeeWol on July 07, 2020, 04:18:30 AM
Hi & many thanks for your reply, i appreciate your help.

First of all in terms of the way I am opening the ports i am going into the NAT section & then into the 'Open Ports' sub section.  I have also tried it via the 'Port Forwarding' sub-section.

As I say I can open & close ports 5060, 80, etc no problem but ports 5061 & 10000 - 20000 it's failing to open.

I am using a website called portcheckers.com to check whether the ports are open or not.

Normally you dont need to open the media ports. I'd leave them out for now and take a look at it if you get 1-way audio. Is it TCP 5061 you're trying to open? Did you do the telnet test to confirm that your SIP server is listening on 5061? Because if it's not listening then you're literally stabbing in the dark.

Quote from: LeeWol on July 07, 2020, 04:18:30 AM

Later this evening i might reboot the Virgin Superhub, put it back into router mode & check to make sure the existing port forwaridng rules have cleared then put it back into modem mode.  Do you think thats worth a  try?

Stabbing in the dark mate :)