Network switch that uses PoE as its power source

Started by finger123, September 13, 2020, 01:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finger123

I need to install an unmanaged network switch in a location that has no power available (on the side of a house)... I have already tried solar with battery backup but with sub optimal results. Does anyone have any experience with a network switch that uses PoE as its power source. Ideally something reasonably priced. Google/amazon searches have been all returned PoE switches where the switch provides the power. I need the opposite where the switch uses the PoE for its own power......
Thanks in advance...

mmcgurty

The Cisco WS-C2960PD-8TT-L is an 8-port 10/100 and 1-port 10/100/1000 POE uplink port that it can be powered from.  We have a bunch of these in conference rooms for AV equipment.  They can be had for under $50 at most on eBay and probably other sites now since they are End-of-Sale/End-of-Life by Cisco.

finger123

Thanks for everyone's help. I found a solution based on your advice and it works perfectly so I thought I would share it with the forum. I got a POE injector (which adds PoE) for the run that goes to the side of the house.

TRENDnet Gigabit Power Over Ethernet Plus Injector, TPE-115GI, Converts Non-Poe Gigabit to Poe+ or PoE Gigabit, Supplies PoE (15.4W) or PoE+ (30W) Power Network Distances Up to 100 M (328 ft.),Black 29.99 on AMAZON.

and then used the:

TRENDnet 5-Port Gigabit PoE+ Powered EdgeSmart Switch with PoE Pass Through, TPE-P521ES, 1 x Gigabit PoE+ Input, 2 x Gigabit PoE Output, 2 x Gigabit, 18W PoE Budget, Managed Switch, Wall-Mountable 59.99 on amazon.

to split the wired connection on the side of the house.

Thanks again.

config t

Interesting. I didn't realize that was even a thing.
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.