Home hard wired with Cat5

Started by finger123, September 17, 2020, 01:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finger123

I have a situation that is probably going to become more and more common. I have a large house that was originally wired with cat5 cable to every room for phone lines. There are no longer wired phones in the house and we are trying to figure out how best to leverage all of the wall ports in all of the rooms to make our wireless stronger in all corners of the house. (BTW I know that the ports need to be changed to Ethernet keystone jacks... easily done).  It seems like all "home solutions" assume that the house is not hard wired with home runs and hence utilize a mesh architecture relying on wireless extenders.  Wireless access points are a consideration and work fairly well but sometimes have issues with hand offs or connecting to a weaker AP.

Does anyone know of a more seamless consumer priced solution for my current set up? 

deanwebb

The Google WiFi is a mesh that doesn't use extenders. Very much like a set of corporate APs that all share the same SSID.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.