Rip and Ripng

Started by Kartek, November 13, 2020, 05:16:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kartek

Hi, Im new to networking and I am not sure if I understand this right
When you want do use rip to distribute router information you need to use command network nw-number where nw-number is the network you want to distribute and also nw where you distribute routes.
Is my asumption right ?

And second, if im using Ripng then I need to use ipv6 rip process-name enable on certain interface and I am not sure if by this command I enable distributing my know routes via that interface or it does something else.

If my questions seem very fundamental to you could you at least please redirect me to some webside where I could learn more?
Thank you

deanwebb

Hello Kartek, we are here to help.

Network (number) will associate that network and routing to it with the RIP process. So, yes, you are right. If you have two networks, 10.1.1.0/24 and 192.168.1.0/24, and only do "network 192.168.1.0", then the 10.1.1.0 network is NOT associated with RIP routing. RIP will also auto-summarize by default, so all subnets of that range are included in the routing statement.

For your second question, based on what I read at https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/iproute_rip/configuration/xe-3s/asr1000/ip6-rip-xe.html , it will distribute RIP IPv6 routes via that interface.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Kartek

Thank you for your answer, do you know how does Rip for ipv6 (ripng) know which networks distribute via interfaces enabled using previous command. Could it be all known networks to router ?

deanwebb

Quote from: Kartek on November 13, 2020, 10:04:47 AM
Thank you for your answer, do you know how does Rip for ipv6 (ripng) know which networks distribute via interfaces enabled using previous command. Could it be all known networks to router ?

I'm a security guy, so I'll defer the full answer to the R&S guys on this board. But I believe that it would be networks that are under the RIP process. If there are other routing processes on the router, I believe that they would have to be set to redistribute those routes into the RIP process for them to propagate.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.