Strongswan ('nix IPSEC daemon) and Cisco IKEv1: DO NOT USE

Started by wintermute000, May 22, 2015, 07:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wintermute000

Some hard won knowledge to flag with y'all security guys

a lot of recently updated linux/BSD based open source FW (including commercial derivatives such as sonicwall etc.) run a new version of the 'nix IPSEC daemon called strongswan, not the old raccoon.

This does NOT play nice with cisco's implementation of IKEv1 i.e. all the old school IPSEC tunnels we've all been running, if you have multiple SAs (i.e. multiple lines in your crypto interesting traffic ACL). The behaviour is random and intermittent e.g. some SAs will get 'stuck' intermittently, rebooting will generally fix it but only briefly, etc.

The only fix (aside from downgrading the FW back to a version using the old raccoon daemon) is to migrate the Cisco end to IKEv2.

I ran into this specific issue on PFsense, and it took away a weekend and a lot of stress at a long term client facing a production meltdown that I thought was my fault... before he told me 'you know, I did upgrade these FWs a few days ago....'. LOL. Found this issue documented, and it is confirmed to also affect sonicwall, symantec to name two  other vendors

https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Upgrade_Guide#Problems_with_Rekeying_with_Multiple_Phase_2_Entries

deanwebb

IKEv2 is STRONGLY recommended by this security professional. IKEv1 has been compromised, so this is one more reason to switch to v2.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

dlots

wintermute000

I'm aware of the failings of IKEv1 - on the ground, there are a million and one of these deployments still around + it still ends up as the default 'copy and paste' deployment in plenty of places.
In my soon to be former workplace (hahahahahahahahahah  :dance: ), I cound no less than 20 managed services environments, all large enterprise, and only the financial firms/banks are using IKEv2 across the board.

SMB market is even worse, they're all running off copy and paste scraps from blogs originating 5-10 years ago - hey the config still works so nobody thinks twice, esp the typical small business all-in-one techies