DNS issue with AnyConnect / Windows

Started by Dieselboy, June 04, 2015, 03:02:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dieselboy

Running AnyConnect 3.1, connected to the corp VPN.

When doing an nslookup for google.com the only queries the Windows client is sending to the internal DNS server across the tunnel is google.com.internaldomain.com
Obviously this is incorrect and the internal DNS server responds with a "I don't know what you're talking about, mate".

When I disconnect from AnyConnect VPN, and do the same nslookup, the query is fired to the same DNS server but goes as google.com and DNS works.

I'm a bit baffled. I've installed the latest AnyConnect. Wondering if Windows update is to blame. I've not made any changes to either VPN server and both are showing the same issue. Mac laptops are still working fine.

wintermute000

icecream-guy

guessing that the local device is configured to append the local DNS suffix to domain queries?

so you can browse to server1  and local.domain is appended to make server1.local.domain
but when you browse external domains, well, you've seen the result.  www.google.com.local.domain
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

Fred

We run anyconnect and don't have this issue. I'm afraid I don't know much about the configuration, but based on your symptoms, I would guess there's something going on there. TAC may be your quickest course to resolution.

wintermute000

Quote from: ristau5741 on June 04, 2015, 07:35:05 AM
guessing that the local device is configured to append the local DNS suffix to domain queries?

Doesn't entirely make sense though as then it would break even without VPN (the machine is on a domain with a normal local suffix after all).
But you say you've made no changes to the VPN server (e.g. something the equivalent of 'always append suffix')
So your guess of MS update might not be off the mark.