APC UPS 8000 inverter fail

Started by Dieselboy, January 15, 2021, 04:13:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dieselboy

After yesterdays power outage the UPS is logging that the inverter has failed. I have done the "braindead" troubleshooting method and during this shutting down method, I smelled a faint electrical burning smell that cleared reasonably quickly.

A new UPS is around 10,000AUD.

I've asked one provider that I am dealing with about replacing the inverter and they advised that they reached out to their APC contact and that they were advised it is not feasible to replace the inverter because it's a high cost and to just buy a new UPS instead.

Anyone been down this road?

I recently replaced the batteries inside around 1.5 to 2 years ago roughly. The APC UPS is Smart-UPS RT 8000 XL

KDog

I'm guessing no warranty?

Do you know a good electronics technician, or are friendly with the engineering dept at a local university? The inverter could be removed, repaired and returned to service cheaper/quicker than buying a new inverter/ UPS.

I would guess that the input protection (it would be a mediocre design at best) has failed, along with some of the power handling FET's/IGBTs.
Never argue with an idiot.
They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Dieselboy

Quote from: KDog on February 01, 2021, 05:51:15 PM
I'm guessing no warranty?

Do you know a good electronics technician, or are friendly with the engineering dept at a local university? The inverter could be removed, repaired and returned to service cheaper/quicker than buying a new inverter/ UPS.

I would guess that the input protection (it would be a mediocre design at best) has failed, along with some of the power handling FET's/IGBTs.

This would be my preferred option but I don't have the necessary skills / knowledge  :))

APC informed me that there's no way to repair it and they are happy to sell me a new one. Someone is getting a good deal.  :twitch:

deanwebb

Sounds like they're much happier to have you buy new than to send a free or reduced-cost replacement...
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Dieselboy

Furthermore, they're picking up the faulty unit for free. 🤔