Shared DMZ

Started by laitounejjar, February 21, 2021, 06:37:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laitounejjar

Hello everyone and sorry my english.
We have bought a hardware FW and we have a second WAN connection. So we decide to review our network architecture.
My idea is shown on attached image (for details : (i) this way i can redirect some client to ISP2 directly. (2) My domain is publicly declared as a.b.c.d).

What do you think about the idea ?
What about the public servers in dmz (they have initially one gateway 192.168.0.1) ?
have you a better idea ?

Thanks.

icecream-guy

what is R-Cisco?

I would suggest to move the ISP-2 connection over to the hardware firewall, so there is only one entry/exit to your network, no backdoor.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

laitounejjar

Thanks for your reply.
Yes its a possible idea. R-cisco = Router cisco.
What about icoming connection from a.b.c.d (ips2) to servers in dmz who is shared between isp1 and isp2 (with a fail over)?

config t

Quote from: laitounejjar on February 21, 2021, 10:42:09 AM

What about icoming connection from a.b.c.d (ips2) to servers in dmz who is shared between isp1 and isp2 (with a fail over)?

i'm not sure i am understanding this correctly. are you saying you want to move the isp2 connection to the dmz? that would make it no longer a dmz.

Agreed with ristau.. only one entry/exit. otherwise you don't have an effective boundary.
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

Dieselboy

1. When traffic arrive at R-Cisco for a DMZ server, it may not go via the firewall.

It will go: Internet -> R-Cisco -> DMZ server.

2. When the DMZ server reply to the internet, it will use the default gateway (firewall):

DMZ Server -> Firewall -> R-Cisco -> internet

Note A) Depending on the firewall, the security on your firewall may break this traffic by default because the reply from the DMZ server is not a TCP SYN packet

The diagram is too complex for the simple network. My suggestion is to have: Internet > R-Cisco > firewall > DMZ.

R-Cisco role = route between internet <-> firewall

Firewall role = Route between internet <-> DMZ

Note B) Failover for DMZ server may not work with your current design.

My final suggestion to you:

I suggest that you test all of the components of your design like auto-failover and see if you have any problems (or not) and work through those.

deanwebb

Hello, I am the attacker. I like the R-Cisco thing. When can I set up an appointment to compromise your network? I have some availability next Thursday morning.

Also, having asymmetric paths can often break applications.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

wintermute000

Why not just run both WAN links off the FW and use the FW to do the appropriate load balancing, whether via routing or PBR or other $VENDOR features.