How to Successfully Set Up a UPS

Started by deanwebb, April 01, 2021, 09:38:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

1. Read the instructions
2. Follow the instructions

:smug:

When shipped, the batteries are not connected so that they don't arrive discharged. You have to flip them over / remove the protecting stickers or whatever instruction you're given on them. If you fail to do that and just plug everything in, then all you have is an overpriced surge protector.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

config t

:curly:

I have fried an UPS before by connecting the batteries incorrectly. There was another time I was on an install project and three of us were breaking our backs trying to lift a big 5U UPS, and this old timer comes in and says, "you know it's lighter if you take the battery packs out first".

:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

Otanx

Also make sure if you are using the APC Smart UPS that if you connect a serial cable you use the APC one. If you connect a Cisco serial cable the UPS reboots.

https://www.apc.com/us/en/faqs/FA156800/

-Otanx

icecream-guy

how not to

unbox and do not let acclimate, let device charge after devices are connected,  just stand UPS in isle, and plug into any outlet, best if the outlet is orange colored (those are for UPS), then move device connections to UPS anytime, there will be no impact or outage, remember device will be plugged into UPS. :smug: oh, and put cool stickers all over the case so nobody trips over it.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

heath

Quote from: deanwebb on April 01, 2021, 09:38:36 AM
1. Read the instructions
2. Follow the instructions

:smug:

When shipped, the batteries are not connected so that they don't arrive discharged. You have to flip them over / remove the protecting stickers or whatever instruction you're given on them. If you fail to do that and just plug everything in, then all you have is an overpriced surge protector.

A few years ago we started a project to replace all the batteries on the big UPSs all over campus.  These were mostly for the fiber remotes of our antique Nortel phone system.  We discovered in every single one of them that the batteries in the battery extender units had never been connected.  The head unit batteries were connected and were enough to last most brief outages, but the extender units were doing nothing.

Dieselboy

I got my new UPS 2 weeks ago. 140KG on a pallet. No way I was lifting that in myself. I only weigh 80kg myself.

I pulled out all 4 battery packs (18kg each) and then the chassis on its own must have only weighed 20-30kgs or so. Easy peasy. Done the install into the rack the same way. I think I figured this out because I had to replace the batteries before. I didnt get APC batteries because they were like $1000 per pack and we need 4 of them. I took one pack out, went down a local shop called "battery world" and asked them if they have equivalents. They had the exact same batteries, the only difference was the new ones were like 100mah or 200mah larger than the APC ones. Total cost was around $1500 for all 4 packs. My boss should really give me a bonus  :mrgreen:

Quote from: Otanx on April 01, 2021, 11:50:11 AM
Also make sure if you are using the APC Smart UPS that if you connect a serial cable you use the APC one. If you connect a Cisco serial cable the UPS reboots.

https://www.apc.com/us/en/faqs/FA156800/

-Otanx

LOL

Quote from: config t on April 01, 2021, 10:35:39 AM
:curly:

I have fried an UPS before by connecting the batteries incorrectly. There was another time I was on an install project and three of us were breaking our backs trying to lift a big 5U UPS, and this old timer comes in and says, "you know it's lighter if you take the battery packs out first".

I think I remember this with the old connectors. Had to be really careful when connecting. It doesnt seem like that now.

deanwebb

Yes, the small business/home unit I put in was very easy to connect up.

Once I read the instructions. :)
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

config t

Sometimes you just gotta..

:rtfm:

These days most UPS I run into are the 1U or 2U deals with the hot swappable battery trays. Super easy and no connectors to fuss with.

Back when I was doing IT aboard gub'ment ships I would walk into the radio room first day and see every single UPS with the red "replace battery" lights illuminated. It never failed and I was an instant rockstar for ordering batteries. On one ship before I got there they were actually buying entire brand new UPS because nobody knew you could just replace the batteries  :twitch:

Quote from: heath on April 05, 2021, 05:25:13 PM

A few years ago we started a project to replace all the batteries on the big UPSs all over campus.  These were mostly for the fiber remotes of our antique Nortel phone system.  We discovered in every single one of them that the batteries in the battery extender units had never been connected.  The head unit batteries were connected and were enough to last most brief outages, but the extender units were doing nothing.

The very first network I worked on had old Nortel Baystack switches and a Nortel phone system. I had a brief contracting role later to do rip and replace of all those networks with updated Avaya campus (junk except for their phone solution). After that I turned around and applied to be the network administrator  :smug:
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.