Fiber nets replacing switches?

Started by deanwebb, June 19, 2015, 10:40:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

http://blog.fibermountain.com/blog/fiber-mountain-and-facebook-fabric-networks-similarities-and-differences

One thing's for sure, if something is cheaper to do and pretty much as effective as a costlier alternative, the cheaper thing will be done.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

routerdork

I'm getting confused the more and more I read about current DC trends. Have we gotten to the point in time where routing speed is so fast we care less about switching? I was always taught to think like this "switch everything you can, route only when you have to" Is the idea of a Spine/Leaf that much different from Core/Aggregation/Access? Topology wise it looks the same to me.
"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." -Abraham Lincoln

AnthonyC

Actually topology is very different; the traditional way doesn't scale well and is inefficient for network pathing (even if using ECMP).   Also for SDN the POD design is much more suitable for its simplicity and scalability.  At scale all these inefficiency matters a lot.
"It can also be argued that DNA is nothing more than a program designed to preserve itself. Life has become more complex in the overwhelming sea of information. And life, when organized into species, relies upon genes to be its memory system."

deanwebb

I wonder if this will make a transition to the network perimeter... or what it would look like at the perimeter. There's basically a path to the datacenter and a path to the Internet... if you don't need device-to-device communication, you should be good.

Or does that mean device-to-device communication has another way to work?

I'm now wondering about voice applications...
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.