Movie Recommendation

Started by deanwebb, June 21, 2015, 07:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

It's not religion or politics, so none of those minefields...  C:-)

Just saw "Inside Out" with the family. It is an absolutely delightful coming-of-age film that gets its science pretty much 100% right. It was amazing to watch a movie and, as stuff happened, check off all the boxes in the "good science" column and none in the "bad". It has everything: neural pathways getting torn down, id, ego, Piagetian development, the works. The science makes the story, drives the story, and even resolves the story. Great voice work by Amy Poehler as the lead, and Lewis Black is perfect as "Anger".

Thematically, there is some powerful storytelling that one doesn't see too often in Hollywood. It's a kid-friendly film, but it's not a film made just for kids. Specifically, there are no fart jokes, which seem to be the go-to for every other kid's film these days. The film deals with very real emotions, as well as ideas of sacrifice, maturity, and what it means to have a bad day.

The fact that the main cast reflected perfectly my current project team made all the more memorable to me. I kid you not, those five emotions are running my project.  ;D Three of our team even look like their characters. Total hilarity for me.

Pixar totally hit it out of the ballpark with this one. I can't wait to see it again.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Nerm

Took the kids to Jurassic World this weekend. It wasn't "good" but wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be either.

May have to make the Inside Out movie our next movie night screening. :)

deanwebb

With kids, it's a can't miss.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

routerdork

I watched American Sniper over the weekend. First time I had seen it, I rarely go to the theaters anymore. Have to say that Eastwood and crew did an excellent job getting the message across.

Also watched San Andreas on opening weekend in the theater with the girlfriend. Up until a few hours before the movie I thought I was going to see a movie based on the video game  :drama: and then I found out it was about natural disasters  :angry:. All in all though it wasn't bad.
"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." -Abraham Lincoln

NetworkGroover

For a dude flick - Mad Max.  I don't think I've ever watched a movie where literally, the action starts at about 2 minutes in, and doesn't stop for the rest of the film.  It's completely over-the-top ridiculous - very little talking, a lot of explosions, very surprised I didn't get bored.  I liked it, wife hated it.  Sorta like "Crank" if you've ever seen it.  (If not, I'd recommend you watch that too :P )

The wife and I also just saw Jurassic World.  Felt very much recycled, but I have to admit I liked it, and the wife who's a big Jurassic Park fan loved it.  Seemed like they didn't stray much from what did well for them in the past and it was a good time.

Definitely going to go see Inside Out - my wife has been dying to see it - glad to see the positive feedback.

American Sniper is a great movie, in the sense of showing the real, gritty nature of a terrible situation.  I'm really glad they didn't "fluff" it.
Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

SofaKing

Quote from: AspiringNetworker on June 22, 2015, 12:58:45 PM
For a dude flick - Mad Max.  I don't think I've ever watched a movie where literally, the action starts at about 2 minutes in, and doesn't stop for the rest of the film.  It's completely over-the-top ridiculous - very little talking, a lot of explosions, very surprised I didn't get bored.  I liked it, wife hated it.  Sorta like "Crank" if you've ever seen it.  (If not, I'd recommend you watch that too :P )

Mad Max was awesome!!  I'm a big fan of the originals and the new one did not disappoint!!
Networking -  You can talk about us but you can't talk without us!

that1guy15

Ive seen Frozen about 3 times this week, and two tinker bell movies about 3 times as well.

On the plus side we did watch Cars once...

Sometimes i wonder what normal movies are like and if Ill ever get to see them again.
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

Nerm

Quote from: that1guy15 on June 24, 2015, 08:39:17 PM
Ive seen Frozen about 3 times this week, and two tinker bell movies about 3 times as well.

Sometimes i wonder what normal movies are like and if Ill ever get to see them again.

I should consider myself lucky then. I have a 6yr old girl and a 4yr old boy and they both like Star Wars and superhero movies just as much as the kid ones you mentioned.  :joy:

routerdork

I told my girlfriend (who can't remember which Star Wars movie she has seen) that we will be watching all of them in order this Fall to get her up to speed.
"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." -Abraham Lincoln

dlots

I went to see the inside out movie yesterday.  I was very well done, but defiantly not what I was expecting.  I found it kinda depressing, most movies espeashally ones geared for kids have a happy ending. (admittedly the cat's emotions at the end totally made up for it though).

icecream-guy

Quote from: routerdork on June 25, 2015, 08:08:47 AM
I told my girlfriend (who can't remember which Star Wars movie she has seen) that we will be watching all of them in order this Fall to get her up to speed.

in which order? by release date, or movie timeline?

both orders have compelling arguments
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Watching all the Star Wars movies? Easy.

THERE IS ONLY ONE AND HAN SHOOTS FIRST, DAMMIT.

routerdork

Quote from: ristau5741 on June 25, 2015, 10:20:53 AM
Quote from: routerdork on June 25, 2015, 08:08:47 AM

in which order? by release date, or movie timeline?

both orders have compelling arguments
I would prefer release date so we don't have to end with old special effects but I'm a fan of order so it'll be by the timeline.

wintermute000

Quote from: that1guy15 on June 24, 2015, 08:39:17 PM

My wife is already like that and my son is only one.
Hence the relentless lab time..... if she's going to take away my violent and/or gross-out movies and video games, then what's a geek supposed to do but spin up VMs and break them. LOL

deanwebb

Name your lab machines after Disney characters and then your son will get into labbing from an early age...

"So, as you can see, I'm trying to route from The_Beast to Mufasa, but Scar is attempting a MITM attack..."