Arista Announces CloudVision

Started by NetworkGroover, June 23, 2015, 12:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NetworkGroover

Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

deanwebb

Quote from: AspiringNetworker on June 23, 2015, 12:10:30 PM
Cool stuff:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/arista-introduces-cloudvision-network-wide-090000543.html
http://www.arista.com/en/products/eos/eos-cloudvision

EDIT - Hrmmm... does this belong in SDN, or Management?

To answer your question, yes. :problem?:

Cool stuff in the article, though. I'm sure that Cisco will fire off a lawsuit if they can't compete head-to-head. That's par for course in the tech world.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

that1guy15

Nice!

Now where is my demo and lab switches!?!

:)
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

NetworkGroover

Quote from: that1guy15 on June 23, 2015, 01:10:05 PM
Nice!

Now where is my demo and lab switches!?!

:)

Official demo is in the works - gotta have a lot of switches to make it interesting.  That process probably couldn't be started until it was actually announced, probably for fear of the SEs in their excitement showing it to the world early.  Gotta keep the other vendors on their toes and all... I'll let you know once the demo/procedure is finalized and we can schedule something.

As for lab switches... you'll get one when I do. ;)
Otherwise, check out vEOS ..... or.... physical switches are just a short phone call away to your local rep - sorry!

NetworkGroover

Quote from: deanwebb on June 23, 2015, 12:32:34 PM
Quote from: AspiringNetworker on June 23, 2015, 12:10:30 PM
Cool stuff:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/arista-introduces-cloudvision-network-wide-090000543.html
http://www.arista.com/en/products/eos/eos-cloudvision

EDIT - Hrmmm... does this belong in SDN, or Management?

To answer your question, yes. :problem?:

Cool stuff in the article, though. I'm sure that Cisco will fire off a lawsuit if they can't compete head-to-head. That's par for course in the tech world.

:lol:

Oops, I mean....  :-X

burnyd

Just use vEOS as steve said.

But getting back to CV.  Yah this is awesome. 

that1guy15

Quote from: burnyd on June 23, 2015, 03:36:10 PM
Just use vEOS as steve said.

But getting back to CV.  Yah this is awesome.

Yeah good point. Once I clear out all these CSRs Ill have enough form for a few.
That1guy15
@that1guy_15

NetworkGroover

Yeah I'd be happy to help you set it up... I don't think you'll regret it.  It's amazing what you can do with it.  I set up a demo I can now do from my laptop where I use Zero Touch Provisioning (ZTP) to provision just a management IP address, a user account for eAPI, and enable the eAPI, then I use Ansible to completely build out a simple VXLAN over OSPF environment - all without touching the vEOS instances themselves outside of some show commands. Another one of those  :wtf: moments for me!

deanwebb

I read the whitepaper and "Tap Aggregation Management" kinda stood way the hell out for me. Could you please elaborate on that?
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

that1guy15

Quote from: AspiringNetworker on June 25, 2015, 11:42:01 AM
Yeah I'd be happy to help you set it up... I don't think you'll regret it.  It's amazing what you can do with it.  I set up a demo I can now do from my laptop where I use Zero Touch Provisioning (ZTP) to provision just a management IP address, a user account for eAPI, and enable the eAPI, then I use Ansible to completely build out a simple VXLAN over OSPF environment - all without touching the vEOS instances themselves outside of some show commands. Another one of those  :wtf: moments for me!

Let me know when you will give us a webex presentation of that!
That1guy15
@that1guy_15

NetworkGroover

Quote from: that1guy15 on June 25, 2015, 02:08:06 PM

That's easy.  I can just set up a G2M whenever and provide it here... and all of you can see it.  It's nothing formal, and something you can replicate on your own.  It's just three instances of vEOS, one ubuntu server providing DHCP and file services, another as an ansible control node, then two lightweight ubuntu server "dummies" that I use just to ping across.  Technically - both those servers could be the same server - I just had already had the dhcp/file server set up and didn't want to screw with it when I was learning Ansible.

Let's do it one evening next week or anytime on the weekend - things have gotten crazy busy for me lately this week and I'd rather not do it during working hours.  For those who are interested, let me know what times/dates work best for you (after 5PM PST Tue - Fri, or anytime on the weekend) via private messages, as well as your email address, and I'll fire off an invite after I figure out a time that I won't piss off my wife by doing work outside of working hours. :P

Don't expect slide ware... I'm too lazy for that.  This is an unscripted, interactive, live exploration. 

NetworkGroover

Quote from: deanwebb on June 25, 2015, 12:22:32 PM
I read the whitepaper and "Tap Aggregation Management" kinda stood way the hell out for me. Could you please elaborate on that?

You haven't heard of Arista's Tap Aggregation feature?

http://www.arista.com/en/solutions/technology-bulletins/585-tap-aggregation

Effectively, you can turn a few specific Arista platforms into Tap Aggregators, also called Network Packet Brokers.  They basically aggregate SPAN/port mirrors and physical taps, filter all of that raw data data (filter, timestamp, truncate, etc.), then send it on to tools for analysis.  This reduces the processing load put on your analysis tools, and makes much better use of bandwidth (think 40G of traffic coming in to a tool that only has a 10G connection).  There's a slew of other features there as well, including a Tap Aggregation Manager (TAM) which is effectively a GUI to configure it through in addition to the CLI. It's typically an out-of-band solution, but on the 100G chassis platform (the 7500), you can selectively turn it on on a per-linecard basis (Hybrid mode).  Hit up your local Arista rep if you'd like to hear more about it or see a demo of it in action.

What CloudVision will provide, to my understanding, is a way to handle multiple switches configured as Tap Aggregators.  Something folks have been asking for for a while.

deanwebb

Oh myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

:tmyk:

This Tap Aggregation stuff is amazing. It goes all the way to 11.

deanwebb

Quote from: AspiringNetworker on June 25, 2015, 04:34:16 PM

That's easy.  I can just set up a G2M whenever and provide it here... and all of you can see it.  It's nothing formal, and something you can replicate on your own.  It's just three instances of vEOS, one ubuntu server providing DHCP and file services, another as an ansible control node, then two lightweight ubuntu server "dummies" that I use just to ping across.  Technically - both those servers could be the same server - I just had already had the dhcp/file server set up and didn't want to screw with it when I was learning Ansible.

Let's do it one evening next week or anytime on the weekend - things have gotten crazy busy for me lately this week and I'd rather not do it during working hours.  For those who are interested, let me know what times/dates work best for you (after 5PM PST Tue - Fri, or anytime on the weekend) via private messages, as well as your email address, and I'll fire off an invite after I figure out a time that I won't piss off my wife by doing work outside of working hours. :P

Don't expect slide ware... I'm too lazy for that.  This is an unscripted, interactive, live exploration. 

If you do make a video, consider publishing it to our Youtube channel!

that1guy15

Quote from: AspiringNetworker on June 25, 2015, 04:34:16 PM

That would be bad-ass dude! Im game for any weekday after 8:30 CST. Im usually up till 1am studying so whatever time and day works best for you.
That1guy15
@that1guy_15