BGP in the DC - Draft white paper

Started by NetworkGroover, July 01, 2015, 11:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NetworkGroover

Meh... looks like my work is going to be swallowed up into a larger design doc... so if you guys are interested, I uploaded my draft proposal for a practical BGP in the DC design doc to my LinkedIn profile under my current position until it gets published. Once published I'll broadcast the URL.  Let me know what you think (PM me if you don't know who I am).

Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

that1guy15

Cool! Ill have a look when I get some time.

Thanks for sharing.
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

Nerm

I would love to read it but I don't think I have anyone from here on LinkedIn (something I should probably change at some point).

NetworkGroover

Yeah - you should rectify that.  It's small world and you never know when someone from the forum shows up in your neck of the woods.

Just a little while ago... what.. four of us were able to get together and hang out?

Reggle

Nice document. Only when you're talking about failover and reconvergence timers and BGP, I'd expect BFD to be mentioned somewhere. Did you forget it or is it not that interesting in this kind of design? If it's the latter, I'd like to know why. And I'm sure others do as well.

NetworkGroover

Quote from: Reggle on July 01, 2015, 03:21:03 PM
Nice document. Only when you're talking about failover and reconvergence timers and BGP, I'd expect BFD to be mentioned somewhere. Did you forget it or is it not that interesting in this kind of design? If it's the latter, I'd like to know why. And I'm sure others do as well.

Thanks!  You probably missed it - it's in the section called "The Need for Fast Failure Detection" - last paragraph.  I just didn't write a huge section on it.

wintermute000

Quote from: Nerm on July 01, 2015, 01:44:27 PM
I would love to read it but I don't think I have anyone from here on LinkedIn (something I should probably change at some point).

Don't tell me you missed the linkedin-circle-jerk thread aka the belkin thread of the year

NetworkGroover

Quote from: wintermute000 on July 01, 2015, 09:54:22 PM

Don't tell me you missed the linkedin-circle-jerk thread aka the belkin thread of the year

lolwut

icecream-guy

Quote from: AspiringNetworker on July 01, 2015, 10:08:08 PM
Quote from: wintermute000 on July 01, 2015, 09:54:22 PM

lolwut

another place, another time.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

OK, time for another LinkedIn roundabout...
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

AnthonyC

Petr Lapukhov presented a BGP Design for Data Center back in 2012 for NANOG when he was /w Microsoft.
"It can also be argued that DNA is nothing more than a program designed to preserve itself. Life has become more complex in the overwhelming sea of information. And life, when organized into species, relies upon genes to be its memory system."

NetworkGroover

Quote from: AnthonyC on July 04, 2015, 09:54:46 PM
Petr Lapukhov presented a BGP Design for Data Center back in 2012 for NANOG when he was /w Microsoft.

I love comments like these.  What was the point of that?

Yes, Petr Lapukhov did present a BGP Design for the DC, and you apparently missed the fact one of my listed sources was the IETF Draft he collaborated on - if you even looked at my paper at all.  Thanks though. 

The point of this wasn't to say I created the design.  It was to discuss the design in a practical manner, the whys, hows, etc.  - and to teach myself and to share a little knowledge with others so they didn't go through the same pains I did.

AnthonyC

Quote from: AspiringNetworker on July 05, 2015, 11:58:10 AM
Quote from: AnthonyC on July 04, 2015, 09:54:46 PM

I love comments like these.  What was the point of that?

Yes, Petr Lapukhov did present a BGP Design for the DC, and you apparently missed the fact one of my listed sources was the IETF Draft he collaborated on - if you even looked at my paper at all.  Thanks though. 

The point of this wasn't to say I created the design.  It was to discuss the design in a practical manner, the whys, hows, etc.  - and to teach myself and to share a little knowledge with others so they didn't go through the same pains I did.

Why so defensive?  Others may find interesting to read another paper on the topic.  Also I don't see a link to the paper and not sure what's your LinkedIn profile.
"It can also be argued that DNA is nothing more than a program designed to preserve itself. Life has become more complex in the overwhelming sea of information. And life, when organized into species, relies upon genes to be its memory system."

NetworkGroover

Quote from: AnthonyC on July 06, 2015, 11:32:06 AM
Why so defensive?  Others may find interesting to read another paper on the topic.  Also I don't see a link to the paper and not sure what's your LinkedIn profile.

Wow. My behavior was totally from being used to a certain type of behavior on other forums without even thinking about all of the factors involved.  My apologies - you're absolutely correct.  Heck, I just realized I have the pdf that you're talking about saved as part of my research. ;)

I'll PM you my LinkedIn profile if you're interested.  Sorry again.

AnthonyC

No problem; it is the Internet and I have pretty thick skin. :)