Main Menu

LinkedIn

Started by Nerm, July 02, 2015, 08:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nerm

Quote from: wintermute000 on July 01, 2015, 09:54:22 PM
Quote from: Nerm on July 01, 2015, 01:44:27 PM
I would love to read it but I don't think I have anyone from here on LinkedIn (something I should probably change at some point).

Don't tell me you missed the linkedin-circle-jerk thread aka the belkin thread of the year

I remember a belkin thread but I think I caught the tail end of it so I don't remember a linkedin part of it.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/normanmahoney if anyone wants to connect.

deanwebb

If you would like to network with the networkers, this is the thread to do it.

When connecting on LinkedIn, say who you are here in the invitation email. IE, if your real name is Ed Davis, but your forum name is "Buffer_Overflow666", say, "Hello, this is Buffer_Overflow666 from Networking-forums.com." That way, we know who you are.

If you were to insert a space into the middle of my username, you will have my name on LinkedIn and can go from there. Yes, this is one more Turing test. I'm in security, so that's how I roll.
:matrix:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

NetworkGroover

Quote from: deanwebb on July 02, 2015, 08:32:49 AM

When connecting on LinkedIn, say who you are here in the invitation email. IE, if your real name is Ed Davis, but your forum name is "Buffer_Overflow666", say, "Hello, this is Buffer_Overflow666 from Networking-forums.com." That way, we know who you are.

If you were to insert a space into the middle of my username, you will have my name on LinkedIn and can go from there. Yes, this is one more Turing test. I'm in security, so that's how I roll.

Except you're apparently not allowed to use ".com" as I just learned adding Nerm.
Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

deanwebb

Quote from: AspiringNetworker on July 02, 2015, 10:20:16 AM
Quote from: deanwebb on July 02, 2015, 08:32:49 AM

Except you're apparently not allowed to use ".com" as I just learned adding Nerm.

That was yet another Turing test.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

NetworkGroover

Quote from: deanwebb on July 02, 2015, 11:23:42 AM
That was yet another Turing test.

You lost me - even Googling it.  Don't have enough motivation to try and understand. :P

deanwebb

A Turing test is a test devised to determine whether or not one is speaking to a computer or a human. A computer would enter the .com and flip out with an error message and make no further progress, unless it was programmed to scrub .com from strings submitted to LinkedIn. A human, on the other hand, would just delete the .com and get on with his life, but then later complain about it. Computers are hardly ever programmed to simulate human behavior by complaining.

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on July 02, 2015, 11:56:06 AM
A Turing test is a test devised to determine whether or not one is speaking to a computer or a human. A computer would enter the .com and flip out with an error message and make no further progress, unless it was programmed to scrub .com from strings submitted to LinkedIn. A human, on the other hand, would just delete the .com and get on with his life, but then later complain about it. Computers are hardly ever programmed to simulate human behavior by complaining.

not to be confused with a Turning machine which is completely different.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

NetworkGroover

Quote from: deanwebb on July 02, 2015, 11:56:06 AM

This makes me want to complain for some reason...

Nerm

Turing test. Learn something new everyday.

Reggle

No offense, but I'd expect IT guys to know what a Turing test is, or who Turing was :-)

I'm going to say: PM for my LinkedIn. I don't feel at ease placing it on a public forum.

AnthonyC

Quote from: Reggle on July 03, 2015, 03:37:12 AM
No offense, but I'd expect IT guys to know what a Turing test is, or who Turing was :-)

Sadly I find there are many who don't know.
"It can also be argued that DNA is nothing more than a program designed to preserve itself. Life has become more complex in the overwhelming sea of information. And life, when organized into species, relies upon genes to be its memory system."

NetworkGroover

Quote from: Reggle on July 03, 2015, 03:37:12 AM

I'm going to say: PM for my LinkedIn. I don't feel at ease placing it on a public forum.

Never heard of Turing that I can recall in any of my certification studies (Security+), or security classes in college.  Why should I know?

deanwebb

He's one of the fathers of modern computing, that's all. Alan Turing did loads of security stuff at Bletchley Park, which any self-respecting computer geek should know about.

NetworkGroover

Quote from: deanwebb on July 04, 2015, 01:24:10 PM
He's one of the fathers of modern computing, that's all. Alan Turing did loads of security stuff at Bletchley Park, which any self-respecting computer geek should know about.

Ah, hence why the name sounds familiar.  Guess I'm not a computer geek.

deanwebb

Quote from: AspiringNetworker on July 04, 2015, 02:55:50 PM
Quote from: deanwebb on July 04, 2015, 01:24:10 PM

Ah, hence why the name sounds familiar.  Guess I'm not a computer geek.
Don't worry, there's hope for you. You've already shown capability at derailing a topic, which is a prime skill for computer geeks. Also, you use Google. :dance: