Guide in Progress: Building out a home lab

Started by deanwebb, January 06, 2015, 10:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RTFM

Mind if I ask you to post what IOS images you are running in your GNS3?
show ip route x.x.x.x   % Network not in table

wintermute000

This is what I use

Stability -

c3725-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T14.bin
c3640-jk9s-mz.124-16.image

Need IOS15 features (NHRP over mGRE etc.)

c7200-adventerprisek9-mz.152-4.M2.image

I can't remember specifically why I use those versions or even if there is a reason, but works for me.

If I was starting out now, I would just buy multilayer switches and a vmware box with lots of extra NICs.
There is no reason for using old 3550s when 3560s are available for a hundred a pop (AUD) on ebay. IOS15, can even run BGP if you want.
If you are an absolute beginner and/or totally confused on virtual and want to get your feet wet, get a few 1841s.

Ironman

I have:
2x2651XM Routers
2x2851 Routers
2xPIX 505
3x2950
1x3560 (POE)

Running a DMVPN between 2 locations right now. Running BGP and EIGRP. Looking for a small rack/cabinet to set the rest up.
:matrix:

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on January 08, 2015, 07:10:56 PM
... and what is it the 3550s get you that the 2600s don't?

switching capabilities
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

hizzo3

Quote from: ristau5741 on January 09, 2015, 07:20:00 AM

switching capabilities
^ This. For a moment I thought I missed something, so last night I spent time googling and couldn't see the relation.

I got the 3550's a yr ago. The 3650 were still higher in price and the only significant difference I could find was IPv6. I got one with the SMI image and flashed it to EMI. The 3550 with EMI is what you want. You can either buy with EMI or flash it with the proper IOS

Ironman

Quote from: ristau5741 on January 09, 2015, 07:20:00 AM

switching capabilities

Yup, the 3550 is a switch, the 2600 is a router.

SimonV

Quote from: hizzo3 on January 09, 2015, 11:04:50 AM
The 3650 were still higher in price and the only significant difference I could find was IPv6.

That, and PVLANS

deanwebb

PVLANS are a topic in the guides, but I learned of them without needing to actually touch them. Would have been nice to lab up, though.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

hizzo3

PVLANS are for CCNP though, right? I didn't see it on the list for CCNA/CCENT.
Which brings up another point... So this guide is for which certification(s)?

You can always rent rack space.

deanwebb

Quote from: hizzo3 on January 09, 2015, 02:19:01 PM
PVLANS are for CCNP though, right? I didn't see it on the list for CCNA/CCENT.
Which brings up another point... So this guide is for which certification(s)?

You can always rent rack space.
CCNP certs, basic starter lab that would be good for any P-level.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

hizzo3

In that case, 3-4 3560's and a NUC, a USB hub and a few Ethernet dongles that support vlan tagging with a Linux install should cover all your routers. If you want to be fancy, you could use 1 Ethernet dongle and configure one of the switches to break out the connections.
Not sure what GNS3 will run for firewalls and voice. Haven't gotten that far yet.

wintermute000

Build your own whitebox. You want real, extra nics. Mobo with 4 RAM slots. Cheaper.

Good luck using your USB NICs with VMs (google VT-d). Then seeing if they support VLAN tagging.

I cannot stress this enough, if you want to do any real vmware labbing, you're going to need more NICs, Intel addon ones that ESXi natively recognises.

hizzo3

Quote from: wintermute000 on January 09, 2015, 05:45:50 PM
Build your own whitebox. You want real, extra nics. Mobo with 4 RAM slots. Cheaper.

Good luck using your USB NICs with VMs (google VT-d). Then seeing if they support VLAN tagging.

I cannot stress this enough, if you want to do any real vmware labbing, you're going to need more NICs, Intel addon ones that ESXi natively recognises.
I would agree if you go the VM route. I'm fighting through this with Xen now. You can get away with USB adapters though if you don't go VM. The new GNS is supposed to be better on ram too.

deanwebb

"Build your own VM" is crazy talk to someone that doesn't build VMs. One of you would like to write up a step-by-step on getting the stuff on GNS3 to talk to the live network?

ChestHair

Quote from: deanwebb on January 08, 2015, 01:47:58 PM
OK, so how many routers and what kind? How many switches and what kind? Let's consider a minimal home lab config.

I used this link to learn what hardware would be good to have for which lab. I think they sell lab kits but I found the items piecemeal on ebay for way less. It helped me see what features work with what hardware, IOS 15, how much memory is needed, etc. It seemed like one of the only comprehensive guides I found at the time. Thoughts?

http://www.certificationkits.com/cisco-lab-suggestions/