Guide in Progress: Building out a home lab

Started by deanwebb, January 06, 2015, 10:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hizzo3

Quote from: deanwebb on January 10, 2015, 08:16:02 AM
"Build your own VM" is crazy talk to someone that doesn't build VMs. One of you would like to write up a step-by-step on getting the stuff on GNS3 to talk to the live network?
There are quite a few guides out there... Maybe we can improve on it somehow... Videos maybe?

deanwebb

That's a brilliant idea... so now I need to figure out how to set up a channel with multiple contributors.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Seittit

Quote from: deanwebb on January 13, 2015, 10:31:30 AM
That's a brilliant idea... so now I need to figure out how to set up a channel with multiple contributors.

LET'S SHARE A GMAIL ACCOUNT!

kidding, someone will leak the credentials to ISIS

hizzo3

Quote from: Seittit on January 13, 2015, 12:28:45 PM
Quote from: deanwebb on January 13, 2015, 10:31:30 AM

LET'S SHARE A GMAIL ACCOUNT!

kidding, someone will leak the credentials to ISIS
Then they will post top secret info, like a link to this thread or our user names.

icecream-guy

I would suggest that a single person be in charge of that project.  simply for quality control.
good content can be allowed, crappy content dropped
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Well, it's a 3-day weekend coming up and my wife will be out of town. Perfect opportunity for me to set up a YouTube channel.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

Seittit

Quote from: deanwebb on January 15, 2015, 08:25:13 AM
Well, it's a 3-day weekend coming up and my wife will be out of town. Perfect opportunity for me to set up a YouTube channel.

Well I'll be down the street from you in Killeen at a falconry convention, let me know if you want some videos of killer raptors

hizzo3

I'd also suggest setting up a minor set of standards that cover format of material. I can't assume everyone on here has done formal training. Plus it will help us piece it together.

Ether

Im currently running 3x 3560 POE Switch, 1x 2524 Router (Access Server) for physical equipment. All of my physical equipment was given to me fo free, but the all have IOS 12.x on em. I wasn't trying to go out into the void to get 15 series IOS, but I need to get the practice on em. I have access to packet tracer in which I can use 18 and 19 series routers w/ IOS 15, but im a sucker for lights and I want physical stuffs, just broke until I start work next monf.

ChestHair

Quote from: jofas88 on January 15, 2015, 12:44:11 PM
Im currently running 3x 3560 POE Switch, 1x 2524 Router (Access Server) for physical equipment. All of my physical equipment was given to me fo free, but the all have IOS 12.x on em. I wasn't trying to go out into the void to get 15 series IOS, but I need to get the practice on em.

I discovered that my 24 port 3560 POE doesn't have enough mem to run IOS 15.

Thankfully my non-POE does!

Ether

You are correct, the 3560 POE cant run the 15, bummer. Packet tracer it is.

Seittit

Quote from: jofas88 on January 16, 2015, 07:03:14 PM

why anyone would want to run 15.x code on a switch is beyond me. the only added feature, to my understanding, is a call home feature. if i had a nickel for every time i ran into bugs on a switch running 15.x code, i'd have almost a dollar.

deanwebb

Quote from: Seittit on January 17, 2015, 04:19:02 AM

why anyone would want to run 15.x code on a switch is beyond me. the only added feature, to my understanding, is a call home feature. if i had a nickel for every time i ran into bugs on a switch running 15.x code, i'd have almost a dollar.

Add ten cents to your total. I know of two switches that flipped their shiz when they went to 15.x code last year...

Ether

wintermute000

Quote from: Seittit on January 17, 2015, 04:19:02 AM

Drifting OT I realise but the best one I ever seen was I think 15.0.2SE4 (whatever lol) on a 3750X, its fairly new IIRC, anyway it was, I quote, 'may run high CPU if ten-gigabit modules are inserted'. And by high CPU it means the switch is basically dropping frames left and right and will even screw up any attempt to tftp/ftp a new image for rollback. Of course this is for a customer who slavishly follows ITIL prescriptions and doesn't understand 'if it ain't broke'. Boy that was a fun evening, talking the onsite hands and feet through rommon.