Using Connection from Server on Host

Started by kaliqubes, September 21, 2021, 07:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaliqubes

Hello all! New member here and I have a question regarding my networking setup (fairly new so bare with me if it sounds stupid)

I have a dedicated server that I use as my main OS. I do this because my country charges and slows down internet based on usage so I connect to my server to do all my heavy downloading of files. My work requires me to download gigs of data and its convenient this way (aside from the graphic sometimes lagging).

Im aware of VPN's but will it be possible to for exmaple use my Servers connection to connect and download files on my actual host PC. If you ue a VPN, youre ISP is still able to see your DATa usage (which is my main cocern, i use too much data). Am I able to connect to my server or any server actually and solely use that servers internet rather than leave my desktop and connect directly to that server.

Sorry if I don't make sense I will elaborate more if anyone want to help and doesnt seem to understand my question.

Thanks all! :)

Dieselboy

Hi and welcome :)

If your ISP is counting download traffic by the amount of bytes that they delivered to your line then a VPN will not hide that. Essentially, the ISP doesnt care what you download in this context, just how much of it you are downloading. A VPN will obscure what you are downloading as the traffic will usually be encrypted, but a VPN adds additional headers and data. So in effect a VPN would only be seen to reduce your available bandwidth by around 10%.

So if you have 1TB limit, you could download around 900GB over the VPN and reach your 1TB limit (approximately), losing about ~100GB.

You can VPN to your server and use the internet allowance that the server has available to it. But if you then transfer that download from the server to your connection then you are just downloading on your connection anyway.

Think of data like water. You have a water allowance. It doesnt matter where the water comes from.

deanwebb

Dieselboy speaks the truth.

Other solutions would be in negotiating a higher file transfer amount or times of the day/night when the connection is unmetered or not metered as strictly as peak hours. So if you have a bulk transfer, maybe they'll be good with allowing it at 2am instead of 2pm and not have that count.

Any of these changes, however, may require a change in your contract and that can include a change in contract price, but it would not hurt to discuss the matter with your ISP sales rep. If this is required for work, it may be possible for your employer to cover part or all of any cost increase.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Otanx

I assume the server is located somewhere else that does not have the data limits your connection has. If so then the way you are doing it is probably the best way. Leave all the files on the server, install all your applications and tools, and use some kind of remote control software. This limits the data on your connection to just the video stuff which will be significantly lower than pulling the files themselves.

-Otanx

kaliqubes

Ah I see. There should be a protocol like VPN but instead it connects to a VPS and use only the internet from the VPs on your desktop. Im surprised there isnt something like this. I figure if they can make VPNs might as well make that too.

Anyways thanks for your reply! Appreciate the welcome :)

Quote from: Dieselboy on September 22, 2021, 12:29:59 AM
Hi and welcome :)

If your ISP is counting download traffic by the amount of bytes that they delivered to your line then a VPN will not hide that. Essentially, the ISP doesnt care what you download in this context, just how much of it you are downloading. A VPN will obscure what you are downloading as the traffic will usually be encrypted, but a VPN adds additional headers and data. So in effect a VPN would only be seen to reduce your available bandwidth by around 10%.

So if you have 1TB limit, you could download around 900GB over the VPN and reach your 1TB limit (approximately), losing about ~100GB.

You can VPN to your server and use the internet allowance that the server has available to it. But if you then transfer that download from the server to your connection then you are just downloading on your connection anyway.

Think of data like water. You have a water allowance. It doesnt matter where the water comes from.