Question Regarding Remote Connection

Started by kaliqubes, September 27, 2021, 01:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaliqubes

Hey guys, I've always had trouble with RDP, I never could memorize the format of the connection name on the Windows RDP connection. LOL sounds stupid but its true. I don't know if its suppose to be (pc username) \ (ip address):(port) Is it always the same format??

More importantly though:
How come some connections require a "no-ip" in order to RDP or specific DNS? For example, for our business account we have a server setup and I have the following info saved: assigned static ip , gateway , net mask , primary name server , secondary name server . Is that meant for basically connecting to my business IP remotely??

IS there a way i can configure that static IP to work on my laptop kind of like a VPN or  like amplifi teleport (amplifi has a really cool feature it turns your home router into a vpn essentially allowing you to connect to your home IP from anywhere in the world). IS that what this info will mainly be used for? Remote connections? Also I'm just curious in general, why business accounts need this as opposed to residential does not.

deanwebb

Username is DOMAIN\username.
IP address will always work, hostname if you have DNS running and registering the host. Port is TCP3389 by default, so specify a port only if not using the default.

For the second part of your post, getting a static IP address for any location (typically just business) requires arranging such a service from your internet provider, usually at a cost. There are ways to make a normal, random IP address work with phone home systems that cost less than a static IP, but they can also have some performance issues.

HOWEVER, before you open up anything to the Internet, you want to know how it will be secured and if the security is sufficient. If not, I can tell you how someone deciding to open up RDP for his work PC cost his employer $17 million in damages.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.