local machine not visible from VPN.

Started by guthrie, September 29, 2021, 02:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guthrie

I have a bunch of local machines, mostly DHCP, a few static.
We had a dual firewall setup (Watchguard, SonicWall) and I would VPN in through both, and have access to anything.
We changed our inner firewall to a Watchguard-M470, and now when I VPN in, I can see almost everything but one machine is not visible, and I cannot even ping it. Only that one machine is a problem.

So; from my laptop; local, can ping anything, file-access anything.
same laptop - VPN in, can still access & see almost everything, but not this one machine (of main interest).

I thought that having it static may be the problem, so I converted it to DHCP, no effect. That of course meant it had a different IP address - so I don't see how any incoming FW's would be able to discriminate on this one machine.

Are there log files on Windows where such networking events would be logged?

I don't know how to further diagnose this. A tracert shows it coming to the firewall, and then "timeout".
I don't have direct access to the firewall/router logs, is that what is needed?

deanwebb

One thought comes to mind - if the inner firewall changed, it's likely the network name/type changed and Windows gave an option to select if that new network was public or private. The default is public and for Windows machines to not respond to NOTHING if they are on a public network. May want to check that on the Windows PCs themselves.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.