Touchy subject

Started by Nerm, July 15, 2015, 09:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reggle

Seems I have a position with a lot more freedom as you guys. I've, on multiple occasions, told coworkers to go and see their worth on the market because the figure they said wasn't that great.
No one ever slips names who told them here (past and present companies).

I've been confronted about it once by a superior: 'You have guts suggesting that kind of salary.'
My answer was: 'It's what the competition dares proposing. I will not leave for 100 EUR/month more but if the different becomes big, it becomes interesting.'

wintermute000

its not about freedom... if I think I'm underpaid, I'm more than happy to 'go in to bat' for myself :)

but sticking your neck out for someone who willingly accepts something is a different story IMO

killabee

I'm kind of on the fence on this one.

Maybe she's perfectly content with what's she's making, and salary doesn't mean much outside of paying for her immediate needs and wants...in line with Otanx.  Maybe she doesn't know what she should be making...

I was in a similar situation earlier in my career.  I was ignorant of my true market value and didn't know if I was underpaid.  My coworker (who was newly hired, making even less than I, and didn't know my salary) started making comments about how I'm "probably making" $30K more than what I was (I never agreed or denied).  That planted the seed in my head and got me researching my market value, and boy was I surprised.  I later got a few pitiful raises (do internal raises ever true you up to market?), which were insulting at best.  I left 6 months later.  I'm thankful that my coworker unknowingly led me down that path.

On the other hand, you don't know all the facts and you're basing your opinion of her salary on personal emotions, which have little bearing on business decisions such as salary.

If you feel strongly about this, try to bring it up to her indirectly and tactfully and only in the right conversation.  Things can get uncomfortable fast and turn ugly faster.

deanwebb

IDEA: Look up how much teachers make in your area. Then start a conversation along the lines of, "Man, I'm glad I'm not a teacher. They only make $34K per year. Hell, I could pull down double that with just two years of experience."

Personally, I do not hide the fact that, with a CCNP and some prior IT experience, I almost doubled my teaching salary within a few months of getting back into IT, and as of my 2014 end-of-year review, I have doubled my teacher salary, completely. Feels nice, too. I may be at a plateau for salaries, but it's a nice, high one.

Keep in mind, also, that mentioning how a VAR or an SE can make this much more than a line engineer, but involves lots of travel/dealing with sales guys/whatever, can get someone to look around and, on their own, decide that it's time to talk about numbers. And that may mean leaving, since many companies won't increase salaries all that quickly.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Nerm

I have decided that it is best to just leave it be at this point. I know she is getting screwed but the way I see it is that it isn't any of my business and by saying something I could make things worse for both her and myself.

LynK

This is what I would recommend:

1) If she came to you complaining about her salary, and how she is underpaid, you should tell her that you cannot do anything to help her, and if she feels that way she needs to speak with management.
2) If she was talking to you about something, and then said what she made (wasn't complaining). Then you felt bad because she is making crap money. Drop it. Move on.

She is a big girl, have her submit a formal request, and hope she is worth her $$$.

What you should not do:
1) Tell her she is making crap money, and tell her do to XYZ or leave.
2) Tell her you will talk to management for her, so she can get a raise.

Now... I do know what my Junior makes, because I was working with my manager on salaries for the job. However if she is making minimum wage even being a junior she needs to get out of there. I find that offensive not to your employer (which I am kind of upset with), but I find it a smack in the face to the industry. Our helpdesk gets payed better than that.

@dlots

your employer should be ashamed of themselves. If you have an NP and are worth your weight you are EASILY worth 60k+ in my area. That is a disgrace.
Sys Admin: "You have a stuck route"
            Me: "You have an incorrect Default Gateway"

hizzo3

Quote from: Nerm on July 17, 2015, 11:31:16 AM
I have decided that it is best to just leave it be at this point. I know she is getting screwed but the way I see it is that it isn't any of my business and by saying something I could make things worse for both her and myself.
You did the right thing. This is why discussing pay to peers in many companies is a conflict of interest and can be a fireable offense. Each of us negotiates our own self worth through compensation. If someone is willing to accept a lowball offer and is OK with it... Well at least they can say they are keeping american jobs from going to the other side of the pond. :)