IPv6 - Where Is It At?

Started by deanwebb, October 12, 2021, 08:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NetworkGroover

I think a somewhat hidden part of this is the undesirable extra demand IPv6 puts on both software development of vendors to support both, and the extra resource demand it puts on the hardware itself to do all the things that we're all used to with IPv4.  IPv6 ACLs for example take way more TCAM memory than IPv4.  That's just one basic function - now expand that through all the functions inside of network devices based off IP addressing - all of that needs to be stored in memory somewhere.
Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

deanwebb

... so when do we get switches with more RAM?
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

luispolanco

GOOD I WAS READING THAT ONLY IN GERMANY IS IPV6 IMPLEMENTING AS A 25%

but later in Latin American countries 0.5% United States 14%

deanwebb

Quote from: luispolanco on November 12, 2021, 02:06:01 AM
GOOD I WAS READING THAT ONLY IN GERMANY IS IPV6 IMPLEMENTING AS A 25%

but later in Latin American countries 0.5% United States 14%

The major IPv6 drivers in the USA are mobile phone providers and US Government facilities.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.