local network printer has different ip address

Started by minsoehan, October 27, 2021, 02:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

minsoehan

I am a very noob at networking area.
I have a problem with network printer Canon iR2520 at my office.
In my office local network, all other computers are running Windows but my computer is running Arch Linux.
The wireless network printer's ip address is set as 192.168.0.100 and all client computers' ip addresses are 192.168.99.xx.
So all the computers can not ping 192.168.0.100 but Windows computers can set up the network printer and work well.
Only my computer can not print from that network printer. I followed all the wiki page and have driver installed. And I have avahi and local hostname resolution set up. But I can not locate the network printer.
I also set up manually like socket:192.168.0.100:9100 but doesn't work also.
Anyway, all windows computers are working well with that network printer.

My question is that is there any extra requirement if the destination host is Eg. 192.168.0.100 while the client computer's ip is 192.168.99.xx.
I am a bit comfused that. I understand if it is local network all devices have same likg Eg. 192.168.1.xxx.
Thanks in advance.

deanwebb

What is the network IP address of the Linux PC? If it's not in the same group as the Windows PCs, there may be a routing issue.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

minsoehan

The ip address of linux pc is 192.168.99.90 while the printer's is 192.168.0.100 in a different segment.
All the other windows systems with ip 192.168.99.xx can print the printer this way.
The office has only one internet line and two large rooms. Only one router can not cover the whole office so the service man use another router as a bridge.
But I don't know why the service man configured the printer's ip in a different segment.

deanwebb

Yes, that is odd... if the whole office is on one subnet... why not add the printer to it?

How many PCs in the office? If less than 250, it should be easy to move the printer to that range and be done with it.

Otherwise, we'll need to see the routing tables to figure out what to fix for the Linux PC.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.