Infidelity site Ashley Madison hacked as attackers demand total shutdown

Started by wintermute000, July 20, 2015, 05:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

Quote from: AspiringNetworker on August 19, 2015, 12:38:31 PM
15k belonging to .mil and .gov addresses... shocker.

Idiots - why on earth would you use your work email?  Even to hide from your wife?  Make yahoo account or something!

What, you expect people to think about security?

:haha2:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Dieselboy

I can't believe that's a real site! Where do I live, under a rock? I Thought if you wanted to cheat, you used Tinder?

icecream-guy

Quote from: Dieselboy on August 19, 2015, 11:14:24 PM
I can't believe that's a real site! Where do I live, under a rock? I Thought if you wanted to cheat, you used Tinder?

I thought one would use onlinebootycall.com
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

LynK

Quote from: Dieselboy on August 19, 2015, 11:14:24 PM

you are not the only one man. Love my girl to much to ever want to cheat on her
Sys Admin: "You have a stuck route"
            Me: "You have an incorrect Default Gateway"

deanwebb

My wife's studied too much criminal forensics for me to ever want to cheat on her.

I also love her, but, yeah, there's that threat of swift and sure discovery and retribution going in her favor, for sure.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

NetworkGroover

The thing that keeps boggling my mind about this is who in their right mind would register for any non-official website, ESPECIALLY something like this, with a .gov or .mil address?  Ok... .mil I can understand more as if I remember correctly that's pretty much all military... including those 18 year old enlisted guys... ;P
Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

deanwebb

Quote from: AspiringNetworker on August 20, 2015, 02:53:06 PM
The thing that keeps boggling my mind about this is who in their right mind would register for any non-official website, ESPECIALLY something like this, with a .gov or .mil address?  Ok... .mil I can understand more as if I remember correctly that's pretty much all military... including those 18 year old enlisted guys... ;P

:phone:

"Sir, we found your email address and CC numbers on the Ashley Madison info dump."

hizzo3

Well with dump #2, at least the CEO has to acknowledge the authenticity of the hack.

Otanx

The best part is if you have a good cyber team they should have a copy of the dump. They need to validate if any users at the company are impacted, and force password changes in case a user is stupid enough to reuse their password. Now imagine that conversation at work. "Hey, Bill we need you to change your password because you had an account at Ashley-Madison."

Also with the .gov/.mil stuff there are concerns with blackmail/espionage for anyone that has access to classified data. Take that a step further, and even if they didn't use their .mil/.gov accounts whoever has the OPM breach data could correlate that info to find matches.

A fun breach all around.

-Otanx

SimonV

You can validate your domain or individual e-mail addresses here: haveibeenpwned.com

Turns out my Adobe account was breached  :doh:

icecream-guy

Quote from: SimonV on August 21, 2015, 02:42:36 AM
You can validate your domain or individual e-mail addresses here: haveibeenpwned.com

That's one way to collect a large number of valid email addresses to sell.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

SimonV

deanwebb

Quote from: ristau5741 on August 21, 2015, 06:45:38 AM
Quote from: SimonV on August 21, 2015, 02:42:36 AM

That's one way to collect a large number of valid email addresses to sell.

There's a fairly beefy stack o' emails from the AM leak... now, how many *stay* valid after being revealed is another matter.

On the plus side, this may be an opportunity for some kids to get a crack at all those new job openings about to happen.

Chev Chellios

Thanks for the laughs guys, this has made my day!  :awesome:

I know most people are dumb, but using work emails on there as well. comedy gold!

NetworkGroover

Quote from: deanwebb on August 20, 2015, 03:31:40 PM
Quote from: AspiringNetworker on August 20, 2015, 02:53:06 PM

:phone:

"Sir, we found your email address and CC numbers on the Ashley Madison info dump."

Haha..... that picture with that caption was epic.  I'm cracking up.
Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always