Link aggregation between Cisco ASR IOS-XE and Cisco nexus NX-OS

Started by Gunter, November 09, 2021, 04:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunter

Hi, I want to configure two ports 10Gbps to have full load balancing = 20Gbps between Cisco ASR 1002X two SPA ports and Cisco nexus 3064PQ. I don't think I prefer the flow-based load balancing since I want to split the traffic equally between the two interfaces and therefore with flow-based I might endup with one link being utilized more than the other since it uses src or dst mac to put traffic on one link. Can someone post a step by step configurtion example of implementing that?

deanwebb

It's been my experience that proper load balancing exists outside of the Cisco environment and is more the area of an F5 or A10 or something like that.

What have you tried already besides flow-based control?
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Otanx

You are going to have a very hard time getting away from flow based load balancing. When you start spitting packets in a single flow you end up with weird issues because packets will show up out of order. Some applications can handle this. Some can't. The better way is to use better hashing of the flows. You mention src or dst mac, but you can also try using src/dst IP, ports, etc. It all depends on your traffic flow which is the best to use.

-Otanx