"Discover" physical network topology

Started by kamarale, November 30, 2021, 09:28:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kamarale

Hello,

I need to "discover"/ know the network physical network topology of several HP switches.
We are going to configure VLANs so I need to know all the uplinks between the switches.

I am planning to do it with LLDP connecting to all the switches, but maybe you guys know a better approach.

Thank you in advance.
Regards.

deanwebb

Reading the routing table is always helpful, if it has a routing function on it. If these are chained switches, then you'll be looking at possibly a bunch of MAC addresses and IP addresses. The first 6 digits of a MAC address go with the manufacturer, so looking those up online will help you find uplinks because they match on a switch vendor.

HOWEVER, if you have a lot of HP laptops and HP printers in that environment, then that will make sorting out the switches more difficult.

LLDP is good, but you might also find a lot of phones connected to the switch, potentially.

If you can go directly to the switches and follow the cables, then you'll know which ports are used for connections to other switches and then use that port information to look up IPs and MAC addresses on the switch.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

kamarale

Hello,

Is there a good software you guys know to do this? to "draw" the physical topology/physical uplinks of switches

Thanks!

deanwebb

Quote from: kamarale on November 30, 2021, 12:11:03 PM
Hello,

Is there a good software you guys know to do this? to "draw" the physical topology/physical uplinks of switches

Thanks!

I've always been in the position where I had to take my discovery and manually transfer it to a Visio document.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

Dieselboy

Depends on what you are wanting to achieve. You can trace the network via mac addresses. E.g. to find where firewall or routers are connected you can show the mac address tables of the switches and figure out which switch ports are connected to which devices.

LLDP will show you other devices speaking LLDP.

Spanning tree could also help, if it's enabled on the switches.

Lastly do a manual trace and document on paper what connects to where

kamarale

Hello,

Yes I will end up doing that.
I never used soft like solarwinds Network Topology Mapper or similars to that. I do not know how well they can discover the topo.

Than you

deanwebb

It's important to note that even automated tools need a human re-working, especially if you have duplicate IP address ranges for things like HA links or firewalled mini-sites for manufacturing.

icecream-guy

the topology mappers usually use SNMP, so all your devices would need to be configured for SNMP
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

dlots

It's one of my 1st works, but this SSHed to devices  and  builds the database. 
https://github.com/GoreNetwork/Network-Walker
This one will build a network map in yed.
https://github.com/GoreNetwork/Build-Network-Map

These are built for Cisco devices just an FYI