Windows 10

Started by deanwebb, August 06, 2015, 07:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

:notbad:

I'm enjoying Windows 10 so far... I added a "run" and "notepad" to my start menu and fixed those issues. For an OS upgrade, I've had to do amazingly little tweaking to get it back to the way I like it. There's just one issue...

"Sleep Mode" is a major fail. It puts my laptop into limbo that requires a hard power off and power on to get it back to usability.

:problem?:

My resolution thus far is to not mess with my graphics driver, which isn't a 100% guaranteed fix, anyway, but to fix my power settings to no longer do any kind of sleep mode stuff. Kinda sucks, because I like having a sleep mode...  :-\
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Nerm

Around here we refer to sleep mode as coma mode lol.

icecream-guy

home pc workers upgrading like crazy. breaks their Cisco remote access vpn. something about Java.  They call the help desk and the response is A. we don't support home user PC's, B. Windows 10 is an unsupported operating system. C. They get a link to an article on how to uninstall Win10.

:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Oh that's just what Cisco needs, something that breaks Java...

When it did a restart for last night's update, my computer got hung with a "Restarting" screen. I could still move the mouse, so it wasn't a coma, just a severe stroke.

When I think about power management with a phone or tablet, it's pretty much screen on - screen off - power off as the set of choices. No real "sleep mode" for those devices. In that context, Windows 10 makes my laptop more like a tablet. Not in a direction I wanted it to go, but I get it.

This may actually be a good thing, though. If people are rebooting multiple times during the day, then they'll have fewer problems due to memory leaks and stuff like that, right?

Right?

:ivan:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

routerdork

I've got 4 PC's that we upgraded at home, 2 are going to be sold. Of the 4 PC's 3 of them upgraded just fine. My GF's laptop has a newer i5 with maxed out RAM and an SSD, I upgraded it last and it passed up the other two finishing first. The 4th PC though has been a pain. As soon as it is upgraded and running it freezes and won't work. So I rolled it back, upgraded RAM and SSD. But now we are having internet issues at home so it will have to wait until the tech fixes the signal.

But I do like it much better than 8. Very much like having 7 with some new features and a facelift. Plus I like free  :banana:
"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." -Abraham Lincoln

deanwebb

Free OS, but it's got Solitaire as a service...

Otanx

Quote from: deanwebb on August 07, 2015, 09:25:18 AM

Ohhh! I always wondered what SaaS was.

-Otanx

icecream-guy

Quote from: Otanx on August 07, 2015, 09:46:00 AM
Quote from: deanwebb on August 07, 2015, 09:25:18 AM

Ohhh! I always wondered what SaaS was.

-Otanx

LoL
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.