Help with 10GbE switch recommendation

Started by Charlielo, June 30, 2022, 04:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlielo

I'm looking for recommendations for 10GbE switches to run in my home network.  Something rack mountable and 8-24 ports is preferable. I have very little to no experience in managed network switches so un-mange would be preferred; however, I can always learn so I'm not limited to only un-manage 10GbE switches. I have been looking at some used switches on eBay but I'm not familiar any of these models.

• IBM Blade RackSwitch G8124
  • Cisco Nexus 7000 24 Port 10 Gigabit Ethernet 10GBE SFP+ KCK N7K-M224XP-23L V03
  • Brocade BR-VDX6720-40-F 40 Port 10GbE SFP+ Switch Dual AC
  • Dell Powerconnect 7024 CGRY2 24 Port PoE Ethernet Switch with 10G Stacking Modul

Any recommendation/suggestion is much appreciated.

deanwebb

If it's going to be 10GbE across the board, you're going to be looking at managed switches and likely ones beyond the light-touch management that goes with small/medium businesses (SMB) or small office/home office (SOHO) switches.

Next question is what kind of rack are we talking about? There can be several kinds of racks, if it's the standard datacenter type of rack, that's easy enough to shop for - but watch out for stuff too narrow for the standard rack that needs a rack mounting kit.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.