Cisco CMBE5000 / CUCM and Unity 8.6.2 licensing

Started by jrothwell, August 22, 2022, 09:07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrothwell

I currently have a licensed CMBE5000 8.6.2 running in a lab environment on Cisco MCS hardware. I'd like to migrate this to a VM. I understand that once I install CMBE5000 on VMware, it detects it's a VM and creates a license MAC. I have used a specific method to modify the license mac to the same MAC as the MCS which matched the license. I thought this would work, but now I'm getting an error about the license being locked to hardware. I researched this and apparently, the license knows it's a MCS license and since the hardware is detected as VMware, it will not apply even though the license MAC matches now. Is there any way around this or is there a way to modify it so it 'thinks' it's installed on MCS hardware or doesn't detect that it's a VMware install?

Thanks,
Jason

Otanx

As far as I know there isn't a way around it. The hardware licenses use different methods of validating the hardware. If I remember correctly when working with their email appliance it is using the TPM chip to validate. I didn't spend a lot of time on it because we had support, and we just had Cisco migrate the licensing to virtual. There was a small cost with it, but I don't remember what.

-Otanx