I've been in flux

Started by icecream-guy, September 20, 2022, 03:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icecream-guy

Over last weekend, I picked up a Dell Inspiron 15 Model 5510, 32GB RAM 1TB SSD, Intel  I7 Processor. Win10 Pro, with a Dell WD19TBS docking station, new Logitech MK270 Wireless Keyboard And Mouse Combo For Windows, and a USB external CD/DVD RW.  So I've been in in transition moving all my stuff from the 10+ year old HP Computer over to the new laptop,  Upgraded to Win 11, so learning that too,  it's not too bad.   all in all it rans my total cost was under 2K. I still need to get another 24" HDMI monitor. so I can have 2x24.

I still have a lot of software to install, and reconfiguration of said applications.  I did lose my Office Pro install.... apparently the legit retail licensed, Office 19 Pro, that I bought online a few years ago wasn't so legit as advertised..

:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Nice rig, there. What's the graphics on it like?
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

icecream-guy

it's NVIDIA GeForce MX450 1920x1080.  one of the cost savings.  I am not a heavy gamer, so it suits me fine

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B19Q9MXY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

icecream-guy

also picked up a Dell 24 Monitor S2421HSX  from Dell for under 2 hundred dollars US.

I wanted another Dell U2415, but those are older and like $600 - $700

deanwebb

I'm looking forward to when the temps drop for good here in Texas, so I can fire up all my monitors and not overheat my office. :smug:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Otanx

That is a pretty good laptop. I have basically the same thing for work, but with half the hard drive and half the RAM. Also have wired keyboard/mouse. The only problem I have had is the dock will sometimes not recognize the keyboard or mouse after a reboot of the laptop. Have to unplug, and reconnect them to work.

-Otanx

icecream-guy

Quote from: Otanx on September 26, 2022, 10:10:32 AM
That is a pretty good laptop. I have basically the same thing for work, but with half the hard drive and half the RAM. Also have wired keyboard/mouse. The only problem I have had is the dock will sometimes not recognize the keyboard or mouse after a reboot of the laptop. Have to unplug, and reconnect them to work.

-Otanx

I have something like that on my work laptop.  when he mouse and keyboard wires get tangled, the inputs seem to work on their own, reorganizing my open documents, email, and spreadsheets.

Dieselboy

I just picked up a personal 13" laptop new from HP direct from their website. https://www.hp.com/gb-en/shop/product.aspx?id=4S177EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB
It has an OLED screen which I like but they're susceptible to screen burn-in so I am being careful with that (as well as a battery alarm that alerts me when my battery <25% or 65%> so I can manually unplug and keep the charge in this range. I have been doing this with my mobile phone for 2 years straight now and my phone battery condition is almost like out of the box new.

I recommend not having dual screens but instead go for a single, curved one like Samsung Odyssey. Go for one in the 30"'s like a 32-34". I have a 27" curved at home but planning to get one slightly bigger. IF you get a 4k resolution at 34" it's like having 4x1080p screens. With so much display area, no need to maximise windows. I find my productivity is better because I tried the screen like a vertical table and my windows are like resizable pieces of paper than I spread out where I need them to be. Not having a split/line down the middle of your view is handy, too.

As well as the screen, I recommend a usb-c dock of some kind. Either built into the monitor or a small one that allows you to simply plug in your laptop with a single usb-c cable. From this one usb cable you will get:
- display output to the screens
- charging/power for the laptop
- network connection

And then if you like, any other usb devices can be connected to the dock and then accessed over the usb cable. 

icecream-guy

I like the Dell U2415 I have, it has support for usb built in the the back,  there is one cable that is needed to connect to the mothership, then I have 4 more usb ports on the back of the monitor. I have a 1.0G external HD and an external CD/DVD RW connected there also.

Sometimes I wonder how fast, if I connect another HD to usb port on laptop and copy data from there, through the dock, where the usb to the monitor is connected, then to the monitor and out one of the usb ports to another HD.  seems fine but a long way for data to travel. I haven'[t noticed much of a difference.