Coaxial to Ethernet

Started by Hobi, September 28, 2022, 03:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobi

Hi All,

Currently I have cable modem provided by my ISP which connects via a coaxial cable from the wall outlet. I'm wanting to upgrade to my own  Router and they all seem to only have Ethernet WAN ports and no coaxial ports. I've searched online for a modems thinking maybe I Could plug the coaxial into a modem and then run an ethernet cable from the modem to the WAN port of a new router but I cannot find modems anywhere online.

The question: Can I purchase a moCA adapter which I can by plugging the coaxial coming from the wall into the adapter, then plugging an ethernet into the other side of the adapter which then runs to the WAN port on my router? As I understand these adapters perform Modulation / demodulation so are essentially a modem?

Thanks  :)

Hobi

I've just found a functionality on my current router called "Modem mode" which will allow this device just to act as a bridge and therefore will allow me to connect my own router to the current router in modem mode which may be the best option for now since it doesn't involve any additional costs other than the new router itself.

I'm still curious on if the moCA adapter would work though.

Otanx

Cable modems use a standard called DOCSIS. This is not the same as MoCA so that will not work. Setting the cable modem into bridge mode is the correct way to do what you are doing. You could buy your own cable modem, but will still need to make sure it works with your ISP, and register it with them.

Thanks,
-Otanx

Hobi

What would the point in a moCA adapter be if you cannot plug it into a cable router because it doesn't understand the signal?

deanwebb

The MoCA adapter would be more for homes with existing coax cable wiring that want to use them for ethernet connections.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Otanx

MoCA as I understand it is used to convert an ethernet signal from a twisted pair media to a coax media. Basically a media converter. Point to point. DOCSIS is the standard that lets you send network signals over a TV coax system.

-Otanx

Hobi